chainsaw chain

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by rocksandpines, Jan 19, 2007.

1. rocksandpines

rocksandpines Member

I have a poulan saw and need to buy a spare chain. It came with a skiptooth chain, but I'm wondering if another type would be better. I want to stay with a low-kickback chain, as I'm an occasional user.

BTW, I'm new here and am thoroughly enjoying the discussions. I've posted an introduction under the "Rules and Introductions" sticky in the Countryside Families section.

2. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

go to a good hardware store or to home depot ect and look at what you need . There are severial chsins that will fit your saw. Make wure that you have the name and model number of the saw and what size chain it is.

4. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Good "scuttlebutt" old Vet. Lowes and even "chinamart" have chains/bars to fit most popular smaller models.
    I live in the southern piedmont near Marshville-you nearby? Do you know about the gathering 4-5-6 May near Rockingham? I know where the sand/rock meet. Part of the farm is sandy and the other rocky "as all get out". E or PM me for info about the gathering or it is posted here somewhere. wc

5. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Any big box or good hardware store should get you fixed up. Skip tooth is usually used on green logs and on bars that are 24 inch or bigger to maximize the advantage. They are also usually full chisel cutters and those dull quicker than round chisel chain.

Safety chain has different rakers in front of the tooth to help avoid hard bite and lessen the chances for kickback. They also do not cut nearly as fast.

6. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

There is a new chain available that has a good agressive cut with a full chisel but is rated safety, low kickback by Stihl which really matters when I'm doing limbing. The Stihl no. is 33RSC3 for my 18 inch bar. I'm certain Oregon makes this special chain too. Mine cost $14 thru my Stihl dealer. Good luck...Glen

7. ovendoctor

ovendoctor north of the lift bridge

I get my chain's at tractor supply for my 10/10 mac they have a full asortment