Chainsaw Bar Bending

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by buellkat, Jan 1, 2005.

1. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

Hi there, I have perused the chainsaw past threads, mostly mention what type or kind of saw to purchase.

My question is....we have a 16" Craftsman Chainsaw, use it regularly to cut our firewood. Starts everytime, cuts decent, not too fast not too slow, but the bar seems to bend, warp, uhh no longer remain "straight".

We cut 6-10" diameter trees, so we are not trying to tackle any big monsters etc. Anyone have any suggestions as to what or why this is happening? Could it be operator error or just use. Please offer your opinions, thoughts.

thank you
    Kat

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Humm never had that happen before.But i have nearly bent them when falling trees.If the tree pitches the bar in it as it falls it might be bending it?
    How do you no its bent? Doesn't it look like a horse shoe? :haha: Or is it just giving you some sort of problems.Ive ran out of bar oil before and blued the bar.That could make them weak and pron to bending.
    I'm stumped.

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Ive known people who pryed with the tip of the bar to bend the bar slightly, but its a hard thing to do as they are made not to. they do hard spots in the bar itself [try making a knife with an old bar].

You may need to just get a new bar, or have the rails tightened..... which will cost more than a new bar sometimes depending upon thep lace you get it done at and the size of the new bar.

Willliam

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Could be any of the reasons above, or just poor sharpening. I've seen people who never learned to sharpen their saws right who always ended up cutting a little bit crooked and over time the bar warped because of it.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, is the bar physically bent really, or is the chainsaw just not cutting true? If the chain is not sharpened evenly, it will pull to one side, & make a warped cut in the wood. But the bar is not bad.

If your bar is truely bending, you must be using it for a pry bar, or running it without oil & it is overheating. Never heard of a bar bending with regular use. It could happen when felling a tree, but that would be rare & you would not be asking why it's bent! :) Can't imagine abusing a saw blade to the point it bends.

--->Paul

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Are you felling the standing trees? It could be the technique your are using.
    I always measure up the tree standing and it's lean to determine which direction it will fall. If you've gotten the bar stuck in the standing tree and yank aobut with it, surely it will bend off kilter. The weight of a 6" tree is pretty stunning to a chain bar. Also, if you are using it a lot at an angle and then pulliing it straight up to release the bar. If you do this repetetively, it can bend the bar. Any number of things can bend the bar, so if you are aware of the forces you place on it while cutting, that can give you a clue. Once bent, the safest thing to do is replace it with a new bar. A new bar usually cost less than $50 which is better than risking a costly injury if the chain flies off the bent bar or something even worse. So be careful.

7. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you are cutting on an angle. Did you flip your bar over, and cut on the other edge?

Take the bar off the saw lay it on a flat surface to see if it truly bent. My guess the slots are wore and uneven. If you can move the teeth sideways to a great degree. You are in need of buying a new bar.

For uneven edges, put the bar in a vise put a flat edge on it, should be 90 degrees to the jaws of vise. You can file it to true.

Timber

8. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

OK, first off, no the blade has not been pryed or used to pry or whatever one could do to "pry". Second, it has not been pinched in felling a tree. A notch is cut, 45 and 90?, other side cut to fell it away from.

Chain is sharp, have bought new bar and sharpened old chain and can instantly notice the difference, also it is filled with bar & chain oil prior to cutting, it has "auto oiling". I have not yet tried to turn the bar over, a hint I have just read on another site.

Yes, they are truly bent, laid on flat surface and they have slight wobble.

Thank you for your help/opinions/thoughts. Perhaps the result is just from not turning the bar over. :confused:

9. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

OK it has been solved, while in the local dealer getting a snowblower bearing, I asked about the possibility of the bar bending....the response......it is a dull chain...one side gets dull while the other may still be sharp, even after sharpening oneself, the edges get dull and need to be ground by a "professional" sharpener....Yeah I am glad it was that easy! Now I know to turn over bar after a few hrs of use, and of course keep chain sharp by me, then once in awhile by them!! Wahoo

p.s. the dull side forces it to pull at the angle

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

When you have a chainsaw that wants to cut in a ) just sharpen the dull side. If memory is correct, on a cut viewed from the operators position that is a ) the outside of the curve is the sharp side. Verify that however! :)

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, yes, that is very common. I thought you were seeing a real, physical bend in the bar from your other descriptions, so didn't bother mentioning this. Your bar was never bent, you were creating curved cuts. Different thing.

--->Paul