Chainsaw advise/questions?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Morning Owl, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

My BF and I are going chainsaw shopping today at lunch. :dance: I really don't know much about chainsaws. I want to get one with a 16" bar as I have used one that size and am comfortable with it. I've heard that Stihl is the best with Husqvarna as close second. They are so much more money though, are they worth the extra money? Why? Any advise would be helpful. :help:

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Stihl, Jonsered, and Husky are pretty much equal and run about the same price for the same size saw. Go with the brand that your local dealer/service center sells.

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have two stihls, and two huskys. The stihls don't run worth crap and the local saw shop (this IS a big time logging area) won't even work on them. Husky is the first choice for the loggers around here, and mine both run great, work well, one of them is 21 years old.

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Just had both my Huskys in the repair shop. The older (10-15 years old...a 55 model) saw just needed a tune up. It turns out the newer saw (about 3 years old) had scored pistons, and I'll likely junk it. It could be that one of the boys used the wrong fuel in the newer saw, but they say they didn't. It is a concern to me that I'm scrapping it at such a young age (a 455 model).

5. newbrunswick

newbrunswick Member

We have a Sears (Mastercraft) - its been in the shop more then used. I'd stay away from them!

6. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have both. I like both, but I think that I like the Husky better. Can't go wrong with either. I use a 009 (sthil) for trimming and also a lot of cutting of smaller stuff. Gets a lot of use. Don't have a 16". All the others are 18".

7. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

My dadwas a small engine mechanic and he said that for the money the Poulan's were a good deal. They are quite abit cheaper than a Stihl or Husky and still run decent. I can't remember the details on why they were a good buy exactly. We probably have 6-8 small chainsaws that we use for cutting brush and grapevine and I can't really say that any one of them seems alot better than another to me. I always have trouble starting any one of them!

8. hippyleft

hippyleft hippyleft

I have a 22 year old farm boss stihl that runs like a new one, On the other hand my son bought a new stihl and he hates it. I must admit it isn't made as good as the old one.

9. Cabin Fever

I hate to say this, but the reason for this discrepancy is that your 22 yo saw was made in Germany and your son's new Stihl was mass produced in the USA.

10. thebugguy

thebugguy Not just another fungi

I'd like to echo a couple of points Cabin Fever made. First, whatever saw you buy, make sure that there's someone around to fix it. I bought an Echo 962 with an 18" bar from the local small-town shop. I had never heard of the brand (most folks haven't), but after going around and around with them, the guys at the shop convinced me of its quality and basically said they'd buy it back from me if I didn't like it. I trusted them, so I bought it. I've owned it a couple years, cut about 10 cords with it and am just now thinking of taking it in for a tuneup. It works great.

Second, according to these same guys, Stihl (and Husky too, I believe) has manufacturing plants in Europe and the USA. The models they make in the factories here are nowhere near the quality of the models they make elsewhere. In other words, some Stihls are better than others.

I decided to put some money into my saw- it was about $600- because I can't stand tools that don't do what you want them to. As it turns out, I've just about gotten my money back by selling firewood, and have probably gotten my money back twice over again in using wood to heat the house, not propane. Spend the money. It's worth it.

cheers,

thebugguy

11. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

12. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I think a lot depends on what you are going to be doing with the saw. If you're only clearing a little brush, cutting a chord or two of wood a year, etc. you might get by with one of the cheaper saws, al a Craftsman/ Poulan/ Echo 'disposables'.

But if you are doing any serious cutting do yourselves a favor and get a Husky from a reputable, local dealer and you won't regret it. It will last longer and, provided you take proper care of it, have a whole lot less problems.

13. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I bought the 45cc homelite last year and I am pretty pleased with it, starts on the second pull,(first is to set the choke), seems to run a little better than the poulans I have seen, we will see how it does over the long haul...

14. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    HI! We have a Poulan(smaller Walmart model) and a Stihl(20" or so bar). We take the Poulan camping since we wouldn't mind of it walked off. It has a hard time starting, and we just use it for "garbage" sawing(like cutting roots away from septic tank pipes) since it is cheap and a frustration. The Stihl has been good so far, my hubby put a cheaper Oregon bar on it, I think drilling out some holes(in the bar) so it would fit in the bolts, and that's been working fine. I've used both, and the Poulan vibrates terribly(I was cutting seasoned oak--not the best to be cutting or learning on!;)) my hands were so numb I could barely hang on to it. The Stihl went through the wood like butter.

So I would say that a Poulan is ok for cutting sticks, but if you are going to do real woodcutting buy the more expensive Stihl or Husky. It will be WAY cheaper to run in in the long run. You will go through many Poulans to one quality chainsaw, AND save yourself consternation and your own physical energy(like you could cut way more wood in a day with a good chainsaw). Everyone I know who really cuts wood says buy the better chainsaw, if you buy cheap you get what you pay for--crap.

15. Cabin Fever

Morning Owl,
    would you consider buying a used saw? It's a modified, bored-out, nitro-powered 95cc Stihl.

[​IMG]

16. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    ARRRRRRRHHHHHH!!

Santy Claus with a chainsaw!! SMOKIN!!

17. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought a new Stih last fall, a MS260. My perivous 3 saws were all Jonesreds, one of them about 30 years old, and they were all still running but getting old. My son decided on the Stihl after using a few when working fr other folks.

The most important thing is to buy your new saw at a shop that does repairs and maintenance right there on site. They will hand you a running, ready to go quality saw when you give them your money, not a "kit" in a carton that you may have trouble getting to run right. And they will be there when you need a tune-up, repairs, parts, or have questions. Don't buy a chain saw at a big-box store!!

18. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

How many cord per minute can ya do with that CF?

19. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

As a general rule, you do get what you pay for!

20. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Cool saw. Makes me break the thou shall not covet thy neighbors saw commandment.