Chain Saw Not Cutting Straight

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gunner, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Gunner

Gunner Member

I have been cutting and sharpening on my own with my saw for years, but have never run into this problem to this degree. My saw wants to hook to the left really bad when I start cutting anything much bigger around than my wrist. In the past when it would want to cut a little off course, I would give it a good sharpening and that would fix it. The problem has gotten to the point that it ain't any fun to saw wood anymore. Ha! I assume that I have gotten the cutting teeth too far worn down on one side of the chain that routine sharpening won't even up. There is plenty of tooth left to grind on. So can any of you experts out there tell me which cutter teeth to really grind away on to straighten out my cuts. Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. swamptiger

swamptiger Active Member

Have you filed the rakers lately?

3. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hey Gunner, Check your chain bar it could be warped. Mine got pinched while falling a good sized tree and started cutting to the left. Couldn't tell by looking at it,took it off and layed it on a flat surface and definitly could see the warp. Tried to straighten it, no go, had to buy a new bar and that fixed the problem. Daryll in NW FLA

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Try flipping your bar over and see if it changes anything, Then try another chain. I don't see how the teeth would change anything, I'd bet it's in the bar.

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Flip the bar over or check and see if the groove the chain rides is has been spread. Mine gets this way occationally and I just put it in the vice and squeeze it together again. Make sure that the chain is kept tight and sharp.

Bob

6. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

It sounds like a classic case of "slopped out bar". Take your current chain.....and save it until you purchase a new bar. It should work fine.

In its place, visit your chain saw shop and purchase a chain with a heavier gauge drivers.
    Most chains for serious chain saws come in 3 sizes .50 .58 & .63 For Oregon chains a .50 is a size 72 chain .58 is a size 73 chain and .63 is a size 75 chain. Windsor chains are junk so I won't even discuss them. Stihl chains are OK, but priced unrealistically high. Your bar length determines the number of drivers.
    If your bar is 20", you will have 72 drivers.
    Hence, an Oregon chisel chain for a 20" bar will likely be a 73 LG x 72. If the bar is slopped out, don't throw it out......go to a 75 LG x 72 and the saw will cut just fine.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Gunner, I have observed the problem you have when one side of the chain becomes real dull or the manner that the teeth are sharpened vary considerably from one side to the other. When the saw cuts in an arc such as this ) the right side of the blade is sharper than the left or the left side of the chain has a problem with the teeth. This ) view is from the operators position looking down the bar. Try working on the left side of the chain with a file and see if you do not impact the ) Good luck.

8. loganj

loganj Guest

I've had the same problem with my saws when the chain isn't sharpened evenly. I'm not saying you aren't sharpening it correctly, but it's hard to get it just right every time (for me anyway). A worn bar, as mentioned before, will cause the problem too.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

I know what the problem IS............that saw was made exclusively...for Democrats. That's why it always pulls to the Left.............fordy... :eek: :worship: :dance:

10. baz

baz New Member

Gunner,
    You have a couple of choices
    1 bar rails well worn
    2 chain sharpened with a heavy hand on to one side
    3 as explained by another, your bar could be bent ( not likely!)
    4 Take chain loop to a shop and have it sharpened correctly
    5 Rakers, as also suggested by another reply is very, very important, these need to be ground down regularly, there are tools available, very cheap to do this.
    6 This won't fail' it will do the job for sure,
    FIT NEW CHAIN AND BAR AND NO MORE WORRIES!
    Good cutting.
    Baz