Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the new thread for all poultry testers as of May 4th, 2003!! PLEASE post HERE on this thread.

10th Edition Recipes that need testing

Chicken

Eggs

Meringue

Bud Jones Breakfast

Shirred eggs 4

Deviled eggs 5

Custard Pie

Basic Custard Pie

Huevos Rancheros

Dumpling Soup

Instant breakfast 4

Quick Eggy Ice Cream

Dyes

Onion Skin Package 5

Dandelion and Pine Needle Eggs

Clove Pickled Eggs

Beet Red Eggs

Soy Eggs

Dilly Eggs

Freezing Whites and Yolks Seperately

Modern Home Dried Eggs ?

Lime/Salt Preserved Eggs

Tropical Salt Solution

Waterglass Method

Mineral Oil Eggs

Fried Livers and Hearts

Plain Pate

Gourmet Seasoned Pate

Chicken-Foot Stock or Soup

Barb-B-Qued Bird 4

Halved Broiler

Quartered Bird

Canned Giblets and Broth

Curried Chicken

Hungarian Paprika Chicken

Chinese Sweet/Sour Chicken

"Cream" of Chicken Soup 2

Chicken, Wheat, Veggie Stew

Chicken and Dressing

Ivey's Chicken Loaf

Gertrude's Chicken Spread

Feather Stuffed Clothing

Old-Time Quill Pens

Turkeys

Canned Turkey, Rabbit, Small Game or Poultry

Turkey Broiler

Pan-Fried Turkey

Leftover Turkey and Rice

Ducks

Garden-Stuffed Ducks

Basic Roast Duck

Roast Duck with Orange Juice

Fried Duck

Geese

Trussing a Goose

Testing a Bird for Doneness

Braised Gosling

Warmed-over Goose in Gravy

Potato-Stuffed Goose

Goose Stuffed with Sauerkraut

Prune-Apple Stuffed Goose

Broiled Samll Bird

Roasted Samll Bird

Pigeon and Squab Recipes

Jellied Pigeon

Roasted Pigeon

Peas 'n Pigeon

Brioled Squab

Pigeon Roasted in Grape Leaves

Pigeon Pot Pie

Roasted Squab

Elegant Pigeon

Baked Pigeon

Squab and Rice Soup

·
plains of Colorado
4,125 Posts
I HAD to play in the egg dye section for Easter!!!!!!!!Dorothy

p. 656
Homemade E.E. dyes #5
onion skin #5 onion skins one of my favorites
food coloring & vinegar #5
precooked dyes #5
flower pattern eggs #5 we only had a couple flowers here in Colo. but I did use the flower from my shamrock plant & then we cut some designs from wax paper...that was cool.

Here are some other natural combos/info. to cook the dye first use 1qt. water w/2 TBL white vinegar.

4Tbl. tumeric w/water vinegar combo. above = yellow
you can use coffee, red cabbage=blue, beets, onion skins. Instead of tying with string use various widths of rubberbands.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Chicken Diet Options
page 630, 9th Edition

I disagree greatly with the fact that grit is not needed right away. Chick grit sprinkled on the feed, as you would salt your own food, provides the right amount for young chicks with no real danger of over-gorging on grit. Later on you can provide it free choice. Pasting up of vents can cause loss of life quickly and unnecessarily. Should a chick paste up from lack of grit, offer grit of course, but gently clean its bum with a warm damp cloth. Work the dried poop off gently. Then use an over the counter antibiotic cream on the vent for protection of the sore place.

Anne
BCR

·
Registered
33 Posts
9th ed. pg. 660 -
to get the neck and head into the right position and keep it there - we put two long nails in the chopping block (aka tree stump) a little smaller than the wideth of the chicken's head. Place the head infront of the nails and pull the body back. This stretches out the neck and holds the chicken in place. Works good with rabbits, too, only replace the nails for the size of the rabbit head.
Debbie

·
Registered
33 Posts
9th ed. pg. 660 - We've tried most all of the ways of killing the chickens. This one is time consuming when doing more than a couple of birds but works in a pinch.
Debbie

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the one we've stayed with. JOhn had made a stand for a rabbit hutch a long time again. We found by turning it upside down we can attach four "cones" to each leg. In the middle of the stand (it looks like an upside down table) we put the camp stove to heat the scalding water. The "cones" are really olive oil bottles for my soap making business. These bottles are stronger than the other bottles we've tried and last for years. We put a bucket under each cone to catch the head and blood, which we compost later.

John slits the neck and allows the chickens to drain in the cones. Doing 4 at a time gives the first one killed a chance to drain out while he takes care of the others.

BTW, we, too, pray and thank the chickens for their offering to us. But we don't give them a funeral!
Debbie

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Carla sent me a PM today saying that no one had replied in answer to my question about turkeys in a previous thread.... so i went searching for some answers and i came up up with a 1973 article in MEN that contradicts some information in the ninth edition page 671 on housing.... a couple of reasons a person does not want to raise turkeys on a wire sun porch is one the cost of building it are a little high, and it can be hard on the turkeys feet.... http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=024/024-030-01&ID=1126&Num=2

I still have not found anything on what an equivalant egg usage would be for swapping with a chicken egg in a recipe but im still looking, and if anyone has any ideas as to what it may take to over winter a hen in feed consumption for a smaller breed [approximately cause variances in weather play a role too] I would still like to know that as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
9th ed., pg. 660 -
We're actually thinking of hiring a homeschooling family to finish up our spring flock of meat birds. One of our biggest concerns is that the finished bird NOT be washed in a bleach water solution. Most commercial processors do a bleach wash as they're not careful about the intestines breaking. So if you "hire out" you may want to ask about the bleach bath. Also ask how the processed chickens will be keep chilled until you pick them up.
Debbie

·
Registered
33 Posts
9th ed., pg. 661 -
Can you tell what we did over the last weekend? Doesn't everyone spend Mother's Day butchering chickens? Only the ones that don't plan right, I guess!

I found using a good pair of kitchen shears to work much better than a knife. Make sure you can take the shears apart for cleaning, that they are dishwasher safe (or can take a boiling water bath) and can be sharpened. You may have to invest in a pair of expensive shears the first time, but I've thrown away several pair of the K-Mart variety at $6 to $8.00 a pop because they couldn't be sharpened. Ask at the camping/hunting counter for a good pair.
Debbie

·
Registered
33 Posts
9th ed., pg. 661 - It's mentioned not to feed the raw scraps to your dogs so they're not tempted to eat a live chicken. I've found this not to be true. We fed the BARF (bones and raw food) method to our dogs for almost a year and had free ranging chickens at the same time. I don't think they connected the raw "treats" to that bird with feathers on.

I imagine if the dog chased the bird in the beginning, caught it
and tasted blood it might continue eating but I think the dog would any way. The problem is the chasing and catching to me at that point.
Debbie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Along the same lines - BARF (bones and raw food) for pet feed. We found an outlet for the "scraps" when we butcher. People who feed BARF will want chicken heads, feet, innards, necks, livers, etc. Basically everything but the feathers. I've even sold the whole rabbit heads for BARF feeding. It looks really gross in the freezer, but it offsets some of the feed. We never waste any of the "scraps" but compost them for garden improvement, but this adds some dollars back into our pockets for the labor involved.

There are a lot of BARF lists on yahoogroups.com, even a BARF supplier list.

Debbie

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well if a person is persistant anything can be found online and i found an asemblance of an equivelant that says one large chicken egg weighs 50 grams, and a turkey egg weighs in at 79 grams which is a little more than one third larger... however it did not say anything about whether this turkey size is an average or large small or what......

but it does say that turkey eggs taste very similar to chicken eggs... go figger

http://www.eatturkey.com/foodsrv/messages/1167.html
is where i found the above

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great information on the eggs! I have always figured 1 duck egg = 2 large chicken eggs. I read somewhere that 1 goose egg = 3 large chicken eggs but that both goose and duck are richer than chicken. Also that goose eggs are great for baking! My chicken eggs are so huge I have to put them into jumbo egg cartons, usually.

T

·
0 Posts
I was looking in Edition 9 for help with my chicken's broken wing today (attacked by a dog) and didn't find anything on the wing, only the foot. It would be helpful to mention the wing bone also.

Tamra

P.S. Who now is going crazy trying to find something on repairing wing bones, if they can even be repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are some recipes I tested. These are all 10th edition

Page 47 basic scrambled eggs rated 5
We like to melt cheddar cheese into the eggs as we stir them.

page 47 Scrambled eggs for a crew rated 5
with seven children and nine grandchildren, this is something I make a LOT!!

page 47 deviled eggs rated 5
we make it with the optional mustard and sprinkle paprika on top

page 48 instant breakfast rated 4 (because of raw eggs)
Sometimes we use half yogurt and milk, and our favorite has strawberries and bananas. I also like to add ice cubes to make it slushie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are some recipes I tested, all from the 10th edition

page 55 I always skin my chickens!!

page 58 hot pack on the bone rated 3
This is easy when I am doing it, but when I open the jars later, I always wish I had deboned the meat first!

page 58 hot pack, no bone rated 5

page 58 oven barbecue chicken rated 4
I like it, it's easy, but my family isn't crazy about this one.

page 59 chicken pot pie rated 5

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you very much for posting your results, I have added them to the list!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you need more poultry testers for the 10th edition? I'm currently working on the dairy chapter, but I'm doing a pitiful job as we still haven't found a milk cow for us. We do have chickens, and what a learning experience that's been for us. I'll post what I've tested from the 9th edition -- it'll take me a few days to get it all posted...

BTW, my sister has geese, ducks, and chickens. She always uses 1 goose egg to equal 3 chicken eggs in recipes. She sent us home with some geese eggs, and I and my boys were in awe over how big they are. They taste very much like chicken eggs, and we enjoyed them. We didn't care for the duck eggs as much.

I found the entire chapter to be so informative and helpful to us. My parents raised chickens when I was young -- they stopped around the time I was 10-12yrs old. About all I ever did was help pluck. My uncle also raised 100's of meat birds every year and dozens of us would go help with the butchering, but all I ever did was pluck then, too. I honestly rate all of the information sections a 5. I'll briefly highlight the parts that were especially helpful.

Chicken Breeds p620-622 - Great information. I'm ordering some Buff Orpingtons the next time I get chickens!

Starting by buying chicks p623-624 - Again, great info. This was really helpful to us. I didn't believe we could possibly need as many birds as suggested by the "How many" section and now realize that I didn't order enough. Next spring, I'll be following these guidelines!!

Brooding Chicks p625-628 -- So extremely helpful!! We used the HM cardboard box brooder and added on rooms as the chicks grew. It worked perfectly. We also had an "emergency room" cardboard box brooder where we kept a chick that arrived doing not so well and where we moved a chick that hurt its leg.

Chick water - p629 - Wonderful info for a newbie like me. I never would have known to teach the chicks to drink when they arrived, so this was invaluable. Who knows how many chicks I may have lost before I figured this out on my own? :oops:

Chick food - p629-631 -- Again, very helpful info. It made me feel like I knew what I was doing.

Chicken housing p639-642 -- Really good info. We inherited a large chicken house when we bought our homestead, and this info was so helpful to us in getting it cleaned (I swear it hadn't been cleaned in 20 years...at least! But the good stuff we cleaned out of there is making a huge improvement in our garden this year. :D ); repaired; and in good order for our chicks.

Broken leg - p642 - I mentioned above that we had an ER for sick/hurt chicks. The little guy with the broken leg healed beautifully and has been running with the other chicks for a few weeks now. DH was amazed that I knew how to make a chick splint with a popsicle stick. ;)

Impacted crop - p643 - This info has helped me out with 2 different birds. I wouldn't have known what was wrong, let alone how to deal with it if I hadn't read this.

Shirred eggs p655 - 5
These are great! I'd never had eggs like this...YUM!

Old-fashioned rice pudding p655 - 5
Delicious!! Just like my grandma used to make. Boy, did this bring back the memories. :)

Scrambled Eggs for a crew p655 - 4
I cut this recipe in half for just me and my little boys. I was intrigued by the flour -- I've never added that to eggs, but it must be because of the amount of milk. I kind of thought this would turn out like a very eggy white sauce...LOL! It was actually very good! It's not the exact same texture as scrambled eggs, but very close, and what a wonderful way to stretch eggs, if needed.

Deviled eggs p655 - 4
This is a good basic recipe

Veggie Omelette p655-656 - 4
Very good.

I'll get back in the next few days and post some more. :)

Linda

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Linda we can always use more people to test recipes! PLEASE use the 10th edition at the top of this thread as your guide. There are MANY recipes that have not been tested. The ones that are not there or have numbers by them have been tested already. You can still test them again but what we really need is for the untested recipes to be tested. I don't think anyone had done much or anything with goose or duck recipes. Any help you can give would be great!

Thanks for your input!

Susan

1 - 20 of 165 Posts