Ch. 4 Vegetables. Post Recipe Tests and How-to Comments Here

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Carla Emery, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Hi Carla,

Baked Sauerkraut, Onion, Apple: P-20 '5' Yum.This is good I took some pie tins to Zelphie yesterday, she's 90, very very small, a widow, bakes pies to sell at the farmer's market, 25 at a time, goes fishing, drives all over. I told her I was going to make this recipes and she insisted that I take a pint of her homemade kraut, who was I to argue? I'm sure that made the recipe even better.

Steamed/Boiled Spuds: P-65, Turnips are good mashed with potatoes. Carrots are especially good.

Baked Potatoes: P-65 Yum! Mexican potatoes are delicious, with or without meat. Deli roast beef or hamburger, browned, taco sauce /salsa/bbq?? lettuc grated cheese, sour cream/yogurt. black beans. diced tomatoes, jalapenos. Pile any or all on a baked potato, serve with pineapple and grapes.

Potaot Salad: P-65, I prefer the basic recipe with no pickle or mustard. YUM!

Hash Browns: P-65 Yum. Breakfast with farm fresh eggs and applesauce.

Mashed PotatoesP-65 Yum, I gave up using my electric mixer, they taste better mashed with the masher, lumps and all.

Potato Cakes: P-66 '5' Delicious, get your frying pan really hot and the oil too. Finally, took me 51 years to make potato cakes, glad I did, Gary really like them.

Mashed Potato/Greens Casserole: P-65, '5' So good, and a good way to get your family to eat greens. I used several Chinese greens and mustard greens. I baked it a little longer than necessary but that's good, made for good texture.

2. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

Ninth Edition Tested Recipes

Preserving squash or Pumpkin - baking method
    page 322
    Rate 4
    Comments: Although this is a good method to use, I really did not care for it personally. WHen I was trying to scoop the pulp from the rind, I kept making holes and the stuff kept falling apart on me. I guess I'm partial to just slicing the pumpking and cutting off the rind and then chunking and cooking it until tender.

Preserving squash or Pumpkin - Boiling method
    page 322
    Rate 5
    Comments: see comments above

Instant Mashed Squash or Pumpkin
    page 323
    Rate 4
    Comments: Easy method and able to freeze it easily in this state as well.

3. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ketchup recipe, Heather! I was just about to
    start looking for one - I need something interesting to do with
    tomatos, I'm so tired of canning them. The 10th ed. doesn't
    have a good recipe either, at least I couldn't find one.

There's a general recipe for baked-squash-with-butter-and-
    brown sugar and variations in the winter squash section on
    p323.

We usually cook this in the microwave - done in less than
    10 minutes and we each eat half an acorn squash and with
    a goat milk smoothie it's dinner. If DH is cooking it's a lot of
    butter and brown sugar, not a little :) I actually made the
    variation with bread crumbs, apples and raisins, baked in the
    oven and it was great! I added walnuts too, and it was
    dinner. This recipe gets a 5, but I wish there were more
    variations I would eat - I don't eat bacon bits.

Lisa A

4. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

Ninth Edition Tested Recipes/how-to's

Ristas
    Page 340
    Rate 5
    Comments: My friend gave me a grocery bag of hot peppers - red chilies, jalapenos, and banana peppers. I sat down and strung the red chilies last night and the other peppers, just putting one type pepper per string. I ended up with 2 strings of red chilies, one of jalapenos, and one of banana peppers. They look so pretty hanging on the wall near the kitchen window and they were so easy to do. I did wear gloves to do them since they are hot peppers and you don't want to burn your fingers.

5. Carla Emery

Sorry to hear that. I know you folks are livin' lean.

6. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

We were without power for roughly 30 hours, we finally got it back on about 8:30pm on the 15th. We lost everything in our fridge and freezer...:( even the ice cubes :rolleyes: We did have one package of chicken quarters that was on the bottom that was still frozen about 3/4 of the way so that isn't too bad, but our hamburger was mush and the one roast in there was triple wrapped so we are going to fix it tomorrow. The only things in the fridge that is still good is the potatoes and onions..not sure about the cheese and the condiments. sigh

7. Carla Emery

Congratulations, Rusty, on having a compost pile! Mine is one of my favorite things. How long were you without electricity?

8. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

9th Edition: Spaghetti Squash pg. 324
    This is Brett's favorite squash, but the way we cook it is not listed in your book. Maybe another one to add to the 10th? :)

We cut the squash in half first and scrape out the seeds. Place cut side UP in a cake pan and add about 1/2 cup water to pan. Fill center with brown sugar and butter. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about an hour. When done, remove strands and serve as a side dish.
    Heather

9. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

Thank you Carla, I just found out this morning that the dill that I had harvested so that I could dry it out died :( When we were moving I placed it into a container so that I could dry it...well if you have ever moved you know how hectic it can get...I just found the container, the dill molded :( so off to the compost pile.

10. Carla Emery

Good input on sweet potatoes, Sharon. Thanks.
    Rusty, tomatoes and potatoes are, I think, related--anyway, their vines do look a lot alike so, it was an easy mistake to make. Anyway, congratulations on making anything grow in the urban jungle!!!
    Gratefully,
    Carla

11. blhmabbott

Zucchini Pineapple
    Perhaps you'd consider adding this recipe if it's not already added (I could not find one like it in the 9th edition). It's one my mother used to make to use up all our zucchini. Makes a wonderful "pineapple" pie or upside down cake:D .

Zucchini Pineapple
    18 cups ground zucchini
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    3 cups sugar
    1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice

Bring juices and sugar to a boil. Add squash and simmer 20 minutes. Pack and seal in hot jars and lids. Water bath 20 minutes. Yield: 12 pints. May be used as regular pineapple.

Heather

12. blhmabbott

9th Edition Tomato Ketchup
    I'd like to offer another tomato ketchup recipe that I have found is MUCH better than Heinz (I would never eat any other kind). But I have found a recipe and have adapted it to our taste....so much better than storebought! We will never buy ketchup again :D .

Tomato Ketchup
    2 quarts tomato puree (homemade or store bought)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/3 cups white vinegar
    2 tsp. whole allspice
    2 sticks cinnamon
    1 tsp. whole cloves
    1 1/2 tsp. paprika
    1 heaping tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 - 1 tsp. salt (depending on taste)
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)

Combine puree, sugar and vinegar in a large saucepot. Tie whole spices in a spice bad. Add spice bag and remaining ingredients to tomato mixture. Cook SLOWLY until as thick as desired, about 1-1 1/2 hours. Stir to prevent sticking. Remove spice bag. Ladle hot catsup into jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath canner. Yield: about 2 1/2 pints

I have to triple this recipe because the kids eat it so fast. If I didn't, I'd be making it every week 8O . ENJOY!
    Heather

13. blhmabbott

14. Carla Emery

Thank you, TESTERS!

Wow, Heather, you're off and running. Great input. You are, however, slightly misfiled. You've given us comments on growing. That usually would be posted in the topic for "Vegetable Growing Volunteers Wanted" or some such. This one is for posting recipe test results and non-grower comments on stuff in the Vegetables Chapter. Okay? If I were you, I'd just copy the above post and re-post it also in the other topic/thread. Doesn't hurt a thing to have it both places.
    Gratefully,
    Carla

15. Carla Emery

Sharon (FL of Vegetables) and TESTERS... The previous vegetables chapter posting place was getting REALLY full, so I have started a new one. I'm experimenting this morning with making the current chapter topics easier for you all to find. Bear with me...
    Gratefully,
    Carla

16. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Kangkong with Belacan "blah-chan" is one of the most
    common and popular vegetable dishes in Malaysia - basically,
    pound and fry chilis onions garlic and dried fermented shrimp
    paste, than add greens. I haven't tried to make it in this
    country but I could try it with spinach (not sure DH will eat it,
    though).

17. beulahland

beulahland Active Member

First picking of grean beans, Tenderpick from Burpee. Was a good picking, somewhat light as I should have weeded better. Been busy preparing for a family reunion and the garden has suffered some.

We found planting in either a single row or a sparsely planted wide row works best for germination. If the bean plants are too close together they don't all germinate.

Tonight's supper - fresh beans, cooked with onion and ham! And corn bread, of course.
    Yummy,
    Debbie

18. beulahland

beulahland Active Member

Leaf hoppers are horrible on the potatoe plants again this year. Last year wasn't bad, but the prior year was. Leaf hoppers are very hard to see - I use a magnifying glass - but they make the plant look like it's horribly wilted. They suck the life out of the plants.

Used Rotenone (sp?) on them last night and they seemed better this morning.
    Debbie

19. beulahland

beulahland Active Member

[quote="beulahland" We found planting in either a single row or a sparsely planted wide row works best for germination. If the bean plants are too close together they don't all germinate.
    Debbie[/quote]

I must have been tired-er than I realized when I posted this! I meant to say POLLINATE not germinate!!
    Debbie

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Sweet Potato-Cooking
    page 302, 9th Edition

Please add that cinnamon, brown sugar and real butter melted together and slathered on a baked sweet potato is divine......or better than that!

Anne
    BCR