Ch. 3 GRAINS Testers PART 4 POST HERE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Testers' started by DW, Aug 7, 2003.

1. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Could some of us have different 10th edition copies??
    From Kelle's post above, I do not see in my 10th edition
    p. 30 Carla's Cream style corn 4
    p. 30 Baked canned corn 5+
    p. 69 rhubarb nut bread 5+

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Carla, it's across from the tire place on the main drag. It isn't a "restaurant" but a take out place. They are a little on the hot side but not too bad. I am a wimp.

3. Sheridan

Sheridan Member

Sorry to be so late with this entry – I had to take a forced hiatus to clean viruses off of 350 pc’s at work.

Ninth Edition Tests
    P 167
    fried left over grits
    Would give this a 4. I love grits almost any fashion. A cautionary note: When frying these cover the pan with a spatter guard as they tend to pop hot grits all over the place.

P 195
    cracked wheat cereal
    Is there a rating lower than one? This was it. Made me appreciate grapenuts. It was tough on the teeth and mouth muscles. A Cautionary Note: Don’t experiment with this at home even if you are eating a high fiber diet. Eating this is like eating pure fiber. It cuts right through you causing an unsettled stomach and the trotskies

p. 198
    hobo bread

A definite 5. My wife and daughter loved them. It has the consistency of banana bread. Using standard loaf pans I got 2 half full pans from the mixture instead of three, also the cooking time was a little long. Forty five minutes might have been better because I was getting burned tops at 50 minutes and it was supposed to bake for an hour.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Carla, burritos aren't always made from shreded meat. Hank loves pork burritos using cubed meat. Place in Safford sells the best ones for the money.

5. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

We make only vegetarian burritos here. We saute whatever
    veggies are around, with lot of garlic, onion, and cumin;
    and add a can of black beans. Then we warm the tortilla
    and layer rice, the vegetable/bean mix, shredded cheese,
    salsa, (sour cream if we have it) wrap it up and eat!
    Messy but a good and filling dinner, and no one minds or
    even notices if I put kale or zucchini in the vegetable mix...

Lisa A

6. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Oh, your veggie burrito sounds yummy, Lisa!

Narita, what's the name of that eatery in Safford with the chunked-meat pork burritos? We go there a lot and I've yet to find a restaurant in that town that I really like.

7. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Hello all! I'm a newbie here and would like to be added to this chapter as well. How do I find an up to date list of what has/hasn't been tested? I have the 9th edition...do I need to contact Carla for the 10th? Thanks for any help!
    Heather

8. Carla Emery

Correct, insofar as I know about it, Lisa.

Sandra, here in the U.S. we eat so much Mexican type food that you don't need to distinguish. Mexican food usually involves a very thin, flat, unleavened bread called a tortilla some place in the setup. A "burrito" is shredded meat wrapped in a tortilla. Pita bread is also round, but it puffs up enough so you can split it and put sandwich stuff inside. Challah is a full-scale loaf of leavened bread that contains lots of eggs. These are good questions, Sandra. Thanks for asking them. It helps us to sort out our thinking to try to answer them. I really appreciate exposure to your Down Under viewpoint! :D

9. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Casella (bread cookbook author) describes lavash as similar
    to what we call pita bread. Usually used split and filled for
    sandwiches. There are a lot of middle eastern variations
    with slightly different names.

Tortillas, to make burritos, (by americans at least, I'm not sure
    how authentic the burritos is), are totally flat, they have no
    leavening at all. They are even flatter than the indian
    chapati.

I think Challah is a Jewish braided loaf made with eggs.

Lisa

10. defarm2b

defarm2b Member

G'day Carla

Lavish is a flat bread (isn't it??) I thought it was fairly international. I think some call it Chala or something like that. You Americans make buritos out of it .... or is that Mexicans .... I am so comfussed. :oops:

Anyway .... all I know is that it is quick :)

Sandra

11. Carla Emery

Thanks for the input, Sandra from Down Under! Most of the recipes in the 9th and 10th are exactly the same. You can test either one. ONe "cake" or "package" of yeast equals 1 T. of dry yeast.
    Next time you try the whole wheat bread #1, double the yeast amount. That ought to make it rise more. What is "Lavish? What an interesting idea you have on how to add the oilj!
    Gratefully,
    Carla

12. defarm2b

defarm2b Member

G'day

I am a newbie here ... I have been trying the grains receipies and thought I would pass on what I have found although these are receipies out of no. 9. Are they dramatically different?

#1 On pg 210 is a a bread for "grossmamma baum's basic yeast bread" andit says to add 2 cakes (or packages) of yeast. How much is that exactly????

#2 I tried the whole wheat bread #1 .... I want to try this one again without using the overnight "sponging" of the yeast as it didn't rise a lot. Lovely "black breadish" kind of flavour though.

#3 Have you considered putting in a receipe for Lavish? I know when I miss making bread in the morning, it is a great "quicky" for lunch.

#4 On the issue of sticky dough ..... when I was learning to make bread, I was a culprit of adding too much flour. I have found a solution to that though. I omit the oil, then stir (with a spoon) in the flour until I can stir it no longer and then use the remaining flour required (no more) in the receipe to knead. When the flour is used up, I use the oil required in the receipe that I omitted to coat my hands with and knead that in. I test my dough by taking a small ball and stretching it out until I can see light through it without the dough breaking. It's quicker if I can keep the dough warmer. That's probably as clear as mud hey?? :)

That is all for now .... looking forward to trying some more cakey things ...

13. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Hi Folks!!! Part 2 got away from me and it is WAY to long, sorry. It took longer to load than record. I'll be posting new lists for 9th & 10th not tested next month. I think I'll make that a new part for grains. We're about at that half way mark...keep testing!!! Dorothy

9th edition
    p. 149 kasha, egg & onion #2 too plain
    p. 150 buckwheat overnight yeast pancakes #3
    " " " " w/cornmeal #3
    sourdough buckwh. cakes #4
    " " " w/ soda #4
    buckwheat-rye yeast bread #4
    I also tried this w/2c. buckwheat, 2c.wheat, 2c. unbleached white & used honey instead of molasses...my family liked this better.

The BEST buckwheat pancakes I made were using a reg. buttermilk pancake recipe w/1/2 unbleached white & 1/2 buckwheat...these were MAJOR hit!!!

14. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to test another recipe. Been busier than I expected.

10th Ed. PG 85
    Melanie's Gluten-Meat

The recipe itself I will give a rating of 5 for it's simplicity in making it. But the taste and texture was not to my liking, so the rating for that is 2 with an overall combined rating of 3.5.
    I probably won't make this recipe again, but someone else may find it to their liking.

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Bamboo
    page 146, 9th Edition

Please note that you have a comment here under "using and preserving bamboo" about "fry them in miso". Miso is not an oil and you cannot fry in it that I can think of....It is very dense and salty and I imagine you meant fry the bamboo and season with miso.

Anne
    BCR

16. mamma23boys

mamma23boys Member

I'm so behind in posting! :oops: Here's the rest of what I've tried from the grains chapter...all from the 9th edition:

Cooking perfect rice p179 - 5
    The tip to saute rice in a bit of oil before adding the water is excellent! If you let the rice brown somewhat, it gets a bit of a nutty taste.

Nasi Goreng p179 - 4
    Really good!

Rye Fruit Bread p184 - 5
    A favorite of my DH

All-Rye Snack Bread p184 - 4
    We all really liked this

Buttermilk Rye Bread p184 - 5
    Seemed a little lighter in texture than the above bread, and we preferred it.

Rye Scones p184 - 2
    We didn't care for these much at all -- the texture, the taste -- just wasn't a scone to me

Rye Pastry - p184 - 4
    This isn't the greatest pie crust, but I rated it a 4 because I was so excited to find a passable pie crust that my dad can eat (severe allergies, including wheat). I passed this recipe along to my mom, and my dad ate his first rhubarb custard pie in a decade!

Rye Quick Bread p184 - 4
    I made it with the orange peels, and it was very good.

Rye Griddle Cakes p184 - 4
    Very good

Rye flour porridge p184 - 5
    I'm a mush lover, and I thought this was great. I've never had Rye mush before this recipe, and I thought it was really good.

Rye-wheat cereal p184 - 5
    I really love this! I eat cracked wheat cereal quite often, and I really enjoyed this variation with the rye

Just on a side note, testing recipes of the different grains was really great for my family. We tried grains that were completely new to us and have expanded our diets to include them in the future. We've also decided to try our hand at growing some of our new favorite grains in the future. We're growing buckwheat this year and will try quinoa for sure next year. We may try growing rye as well, since many of these recipes were a hit with us. I think I've only ever cooked with rye once before trying these recipes. :)

17. Carla Emery

Printed and tallied to date.

18. boxergal

boxergal Member

Tried to read through all the postings, I might have missed some - my eyes glazed over after a while. If I'm redundant, please be patient

Regarding Quinoa: I have found that Quinoa doesn't need overnight soaking. As a matter of fact, I just rinse it a few times and its ready to go! Now, I don't grow it myself - I buy it through my food co-op, so that might make a difference. Today's Quinoa is almost as fast cooking as couscous.

Brown Rice: have you included a recipe for pressure cooking brown rice? Much faster, better results, and less energy required that the regular boiling water method (rather than 40 minutes, it only cooks about 15). Mmmm, brown rice, brown rice and tempeh, brown rice and tofu, brown rice pudding!

Terry

19. Carla Emery

S, please, what are your specific instructions for pressure cooking brown rice?

P.S. Some time back, a TESTER, forget who, maybe diane? posted "we purchased our scythe from Muggs in Tennessee...they advertised in CS Journal." I want to put this in the book, but I need more detailed contact info. I looked for Muggs and for Muggs in Tennessee on the HT member list, but couldn't find it. Suggestions?

20. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Just wanted to stay I'm working hard at trying to grow a little broom corn (a 4'x4' plot) this year, and eventually make brooms. (I think this is the continuation of the testing-growing-grains thread but it's not entirely clear...)
    So far I'm not having an easy time getting the stuff to germinate. I'm trying to start indoors in cells since it looks just exactly like weeds when it comes up. I'm also going to try direct seeding if I can keep the cats out of that bed.
    Lisa