Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Oops, accidentally posting in the wrong place. Just deleted the old post and moved this here. Hopefully this is correct now.

A couple of things that I hope are not redundant. I know you said this was almost done, but maybe it will be helpful.

10th Edition Oddments pg 16 - Homeschool is legal in all 50 states but each state has their own regulations and requirements. Some states have great homeschool laws with little to no regulations, others are much more restrictive. If you wish to have the option to homeschool, now or in the future, check the state laws when deciding on a place to live. The internet is a great place to find out about homeschool laws and restrictions in different states. Calling your local school board may result in mis-information. Some Internet Resources: http://www.home-ed-magazine.com/
http://hslda.org/laws/

Pg 64 - A teepee fire is not the best option for cooking. Unless you are roasting hotdogs or marshmellows on a stick, I recommend a criss-cross method, start with your kindling and slowly add progressively larger sticks and logs as it burns. There are even better styles for outdoor cooking but generally TP fires are for pleasure, not cooking. Also, it refers you to the Tree section for more info.. unless it was added in 10, the 9th edition only covers wood stoves from what I can see and not other types of fires.

Good addition to resources would be lodgemfg.com for cookware and the only place I know that you can purchase a campfire set (with a variety of hooks for pots) is through campfirecafe.com. We cooked outdoors quite extensively when we were clearing and preparing our land and had some fantastic meals. DH requests outdoor meals often and is still a great option when it is hot.

Page 72 - Digging a well by hand is extremely dangerous. You might wish to change the wording as even though you say to get a well professionally drilled, you mention "So people must dig ever deeper to get water".. you might wish to change this to the word ~drill~.

Page 75 - Scorpions - Not all scorpions are life threatening. The ones found here in the southeast are "normally" treated as bee stings, watching for signs of allergic reaction only and do not require medical attention. I have been stung twice this spring with no adverse affects, although I did panic at first because I thought all scorpions were extremely dangerous.

Blessings!
Becky

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.