ceserean section

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, Nov 28, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

i have a young doe probably 18 months old i didnt know she was bred when i got her she barely had a bag but one day i went out and a pair of hooves was sticking out she couldnt deliver and i tried everything and it kept turning its neck sideways the vet came and did a c section the baby had died :( is it safe to breed her again or will she always have to have a c section she is a woods goat and my bucks are pygmy . she was already pregnant so i dont know what she was bred to before

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

IMHO, She should be fine to try with a pygmy buck. There are so many factors that lead to a c-section. If it was that she had a turnback baby, then she may never have a problem kidding again. I would definately give her a try if you like the doe.

3. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

It was probably only a one time thing. The baby was probably either too large or in the wrong Position. If it would make you feel more comfortable you could breed her to a smaller Buck such as a Pygmy or Dwarf.

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

How old is she now, and is she normal size? I've had two does that had C-sections.

One was small boned and tiny due to being stunted (dam died when she was young and then she was bred too young and too small). That doe was less than 100 lbs just before having the C-section! Her buck was so large that there was no way he would ever come out with either of them intact...she had given birth normally before a number of times. It was partly my mistake for takign pains to feed her lots of grain and special food while she was pregnant (dumb move with a small doe with normal size genes).

The other doe was large and strong, but due to a truly awful birth the year before, has such severe cervical scarring that she wouldn't dilate enough for me to get even a fingertip in, let alone getting the kids out! In her case, she had to get a C-section again the next time, too, because the problem was still there. I haven't bred her again after her two C-sections- they're hard on her, she's old, and I don't think she'd live through another one.

I have known of does who had C-sections and then went on to a series of normal births. The main question is why the event occurred and whether it'll happen again. I can't say without knowing how big your doe is, but head turned back has got to be the absolute worst position to try to deliver, especially if the kid is dead, that makes it nigh impossible. Chances are she will be OK bred to a small buck.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a mutt doe that 6 months ago had twins, the first one lived, and the seconed one was trying to come out sidewyas, then the baby died, and we had a nightmare trying to get Clara to get the baby out, but she did, we tried to move the baby to a normal position but it was already dead, 16 hours after the first one was born, and we could not get it to move so she ended up delivering it folded in half. She just got through having a nice LITTLE baby boy, i think that Lucky got her instead of Gus becuase Gus ALWAYS throws off babies were the GIRLS are bigger than this little boy is, he was a single, and when she had twin buckling a year ago they were probly around twice as big as him. Well see ya, bye.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I know that my neigbor had a c-section with both her kids. He first needed a c-section, and the second could have been born normally but there was a chance that the incision site from the first c-section would break open during the labor. I don't know the chances of it happening to a goat.