ceserean section

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, Nov 6, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

has anyone had this done? i have a 1 1/2 year old pygmy cross doe i had no ideal she was pregnant i got her 4 months ago her size never changed and her bag was,nt even big enough to notice yesterday she had a clear discharge and a large amount of fluid coming out of her i thought maybe it was a false pregnancy til two little hooves appeared but she never went any further i was getting concerned so i checked the babies position and its head was bent back i tried pushing it back in and bringing its head forward but every time she pushed its head would turn again after several failed attempts i called the vet by the time he arrived and did the c section the baby was dead ,it was completely formed and not real big but she was long the vet said there was not enough room to push her back enough to get her head in the birth canal.i feel bad for momma all the pain and no baby. anyway my question is will she be able to have births normal again or is it to risky after having the c section. i dont want to breed her if she will have to have a c section again.has anyone had a goat have a c section then a normal delivery ??

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

You want to just be sure to give her plenty of time to heal up before you breed her again. Tha way everything is together good and you don't have to worry about her tearing anything. Otherwise she shouldn't have any troubles. I know of several people that have had does get a C-Section and then have normal births. :goodjob:

3. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

thank you for the quick response , thats a releif i was concerned i dont want her to go through that again i also dont know what she might of been bred to i didnt have her long enough for my pygmy buck to be the father , thanks again

4. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

Goats are the only livestock specie that I recomend giving a second try after a C. After she's had one C if she does it again cull her, it's a problem with her genes or uterus, or something along those lines and not just a "twist", if you will, of fate.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I just wanted to say sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that she can give you some nice healthy babies in the time to come.