CERT Training

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pony, May 9, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

No, I'm not talking about breath mints or candy, but about Citizens Emergency Response Team training.

CRWilson's thread about how ill-prepared we are in a SHTF or a YO-YO ("You're On Your Own") situation made me wonder how many people have participated in CERT.

DH and I just completed the initial course, and we are very glad we did. Sure, we already had some knowledge going in, and have prepared for certain eventualities, but the CERT training helped us to identify areas we'd overlooked or forgotten, and also made clear that it is important for people to be prepared to take care of themselves instead of expecting someone or some bureaucracy to take of them.

This is one of the few government programs I can get behind, because it teaches you how to take care of yourself and your family first, and then (if you so desire and choose) to help out in your neighborhood.

https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

Pony!

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I am CERT trained. We just finished up our 3rd class of trainees. I will be a certified instruction here in the next month or so. We have had a number of drills and are working well with the county agencies.

FEMA has always said YO-YO 3 days and never commited toanything else. Katrina showed that now somehow fema has to deliver next second disaster preparedness.

Hopefully you will contine to be active in the CERT group and not just take the training for your own benifit.

3. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

CERT training is offered in our area also but I haven't taken any training yet. I am still trying to find the time to finish up some NIMS classes that I need for work first.

4. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Here is another good preparedness course put on by FEMA. http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp IS-22 is is the course for the average person. It covers a lot of ground on being prepared.

CERT is a great program also. I'm an instructor in it but it's tough to get a lot of interest in Northern Montana. Makes it a little easier when you publish fallout maps and find that we are in the middle of the nukes if the worst should happen.

I would recomment CERT training for anyone if you can find a course and the preparedness course by FEMA for anyone lookign for more info on getting ready for all troubles.

The other NIMS courses on the FEMA site could be interesting for some also. I am an EMT and have taken quite a few of them.

5. Pony

While there's nothing wrong in taking the training for your own benefit (this was pointed out during the course I took -- every person who knows what s/he is doing and can take care of self is one less person for rescuers to worry about), DH and I are absolutely in it for the long haul! In fact, two days after we passed our exam, I was a "victim" in the next group's final. (DH had to work, so he was very disappointed that he couldn't join in.)

I'm looking forward to the drills and other continuing ed offered, and would like to work toward being a trainer as well.

Pony!

6. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I think once you take a CERT class you get hooked and want to do more -

I'd also urge you to look at organizations like Civil Air Patrol - especially if you have children. CAP is a great organization and families can participate together - you receive emergency services training, disaster relief, there is a leadership program and kids get to "fly". Children have to be 12 years old+

One of the best organizations I've ever belonged to and am proud to be a volunteer in - plus, the benefits for my kids - tremendous!

for more info on CAP visit http://cap.gov

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I'm CERT trained myself and recommend the program to anyone interested in community preparedness. I had to give up volunteer activities but if I could I'd still be involved because I learned a heck of a lot.

CERT varies quite a lot from county to county, state to state. Some areas don't have a program at all, other areas do it county wide, some as a city program, others may be still different than those. If you have a program in your area check into it what it offers. Some places have large, highly organized programs, others are just now trying to get one put together, unfortunately a few areas have only the remains of a formerly vibrant organization. As with all volunteer activities CERT is only as good as the folks who choose to participate and the drive of the person responsible for getting the program off the ground. Some areas it's under the aegis of the fire department, others areas a part of the police or sheriff's office, some areas it's a direct part of emergency management, and there may be other areas different from all of those.

If you have a CERT program in your area it is definitely worth looking into if you're interested in community preparedness. Personal preparedness as well since you're not going to be able to save anyone if you need saving yourself first.

.....Alan.

8. Pony

I just got some more info in the mail on the CERT medical corps training. I'm excited about that! In another life, I was a veterinary technician, and they're looking for people with a medical background -- animal or human. :)

I'm going to check out the other FEMA links later this evening (if I don't fall asleep first). :)

Pony!

9. dale

dale Well-Known Member

I just finished the NIMS training.. have to have someone on our Water/ Sewer system to be certified so I got to do it.
    That way we can get help on Security grants or the like.

I am a First Responder so have had much training on what to do or how to do it.
    We do a County wide traings mock ups.

If every one would get involved it would make a difference in our USA

but so many just sit and wait for someone else to take care of it

As Mayor I have to be part of the County Emergency Preparedness. Be ready for anything.

Am hazmat Cert.
    dale