ceramic brake pads

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by agmantoo, Jun 19, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Have any of you folks used the newer ceramic compound brake pads? If so, how did you like them? Thanks

2. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

For what it's worth...
    I just had my truck in to have the brakes checked....didn't need new ones yet, but the manager told me that it won't be long before ceramic will be the only kind of brake pads available. He said you can expect more "brake noise" from them, the tradeoff for "better performance and longer wear". He "strongly recommends" them. He also said expect 20% higher prices.
    I won't be buying them till, like you, I've heard from some folks who have actually had experience with them.

-M.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

One of the reasons to go ceramic is a lot of the faked brand name pads from China and elseware are made from sawdust. Just a little safety item I heard about.Name brand looking box -------junk inside.I think the way to tell is the box is printed in the USA on the good ones not sure though.

mikell

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................ag , I had a complete brake job done on my 99 PDS diesel(f250) back in Jan\05 . I ordered a set of the "Z" rated pads for the Front and the mechanic installed the Regular pads on the rear . After a month or so I could really "feel" the front pads working . There was a discernable improvement in stopping due to the front pads . I'm still not sure what the "Z" rating constitutes but several PSD owners had reported the same result prior to my brake job . These were posters on the Ford truck website . The set of front pads plus shipping came to about 65 or so . Don't know about the Longivity but my origional brakes lasted 85,000 miles which I felt was fairly decent service life . fordy.. :)

5. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

the only "Real "problem with ceramic pads is that when they wear out you need rotors as well , the ceramic is harder than steel . European trucks fitted with ceramic clutches need a flywheel as well as a new clutch when they quit .

6. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Hmmm i guess i will be buying up about 4 or 5 sets of brake pads for my vehicles and keepiing them in stock.
    what a real waste to have to replace rotors every brake job.

7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

In friction surfaces, terms like ceramic are as broad and vague as semi-metalic. It really tells you nothing. That said, most of the time they are a performance type pad because that is how the marketing of them works.

I've run them on some vehicles, and generally they worked quite well. In one application they worked superbly. They are noisy, but not in a squealing way. It sounds more like a metal lathe when stopping. Rotor wear has been good. Far better than some of the semi-metalic pads. Dusting is roughly generic. I don't see much more dusting, but I also don't see any less.

8. nicholascovey

nicholascovey Well-Known Member

On most passenger cars the rotors are so thin that one day of hard city driving cwill cause them to warp. My BIL put them on his Pontiac Sunfire and actually got the rotors so hot that they annealed (we think that there was a great deal of speed involved).

I guess if this is the wave of the future, then we need to sink some stock into aftermarket rotor manufacturers :p

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I've never tried ceramic pads, but I have used semi-metallic. I have found that the semi-metallic squeal a lot. So now all I ever buy is the cheap organic pads. They are silent all the time and easy on the rotors. I don't mind having to change brakes more often because of the reduced life expectancy of organic pads....it's an easy job....and one that should be done more often in northern climates where a lot of road salt is used. The salt corrodes the slides of the calipers and causes them to "hang up" often. So each time I replace the pads, I sand the corrosion off the slides and apply brake grease to them. If I used long-life ceramic pads, I'd still have to sand and grease the slides every year or so.

10. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

the " semi metalic " pads are made from sintered iron which is basicaly the slag from a steelworks , they are tough and will happily melt brake discs before the brakes start to fade, I have seen the testing videos of Sintered iron and ceramic pads and shoes , every time the discs broke up and melted before the pads failed and truck brake drums glowed orange hot before they deformed and exploded , the asbestos pads and shoes caught fire long before the discs and drums got hot enough to melt and the discs and drums never falied, asbestos couldnt get them hot enough before the asbestos friction materail failed .
    ten years ago the companie i worked for's trucks were used as a test bed for "Iron and ceramic" friction materail , reline milages doubled but drum wear doubled as well , drums wore out 2 sets of linings before they were too thin, and had to be replaced