Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our area has been hit fairly hard. We still have our direct tv through them, no issue, but some who have dish through them lost service. We have internet just fine, but many in our area lost their internet with centurylink. Pretty much the whole area lost phone service for a while. Seems the town is back up and running but glitchy sounding, and those of us in the country have not had landline phones since Wednesday. All centurylink will tell anybody is "its a big outage" and that we "need to prepare to be patient for quite a while."

I'm just trying to find out if anyone out there is also experiencing it. We all lost service at 1:15 pm central time before some storms rolled in.

Figure if they don't get it fixed by next week some time will call billing. We should not be charged for weeks of phone service we do not receive. Sort of like BP billing you for gasoline they never had at the station to put in your truck, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
We recently lost service from Spectrum for several hours. It was evidently a widespread outage, no reason given. I wonder if there is a lot more to this that what they're telling us?

·
Voice of Reason
53,022 Posts
I've had trouble off & on for a few weeks now. They're upgrading the network for their new Gigablast product. But they've been pretty good about letting us know ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever the main outage was, they texted me on Saturday saying phone service was restored. But it was not. I went online and chatted with them, they set up repairs for today, but the tech arrived early yesterday morning with the part he figured was blown on my set up. He handed it to me at the door, I plugged it in, and we were good to go.

But he agreed the lightening strike nearby that blew that part was not related to the big outage, beyond that, he did not say.

My part was not a switching and the big outage was a "switching error." With it hitting accounts differently, I suspect it was not local at all. I have heard, just heard, do not know, that St. Louis had a lot of outages at the same time.

·
Voice of Reason
53,022 Posts
Whatever the main outage was, they texted me on Saturday saying phone service was restored. But it was not. I went online and chatted with them, they set up repairs for today, but the tech arrived early yesterday morning with the part he figured was blown on my set up. He handed it to me at the door, I plugged it in, and we were good to go.

But he agreed the lightening strike nearby that blew that part was not related to the big outage, beyond that, he did not say.

My part was not a switching and the big outage was a "switching error." With it hitting accounts differently, I suspect it was not local at all. I have heard, just heard, do not know, that St. Louis had a lot of outages at the same time.
Used modem-routers are inexpensive at eBay. There's no reason to pay modem rent to Cox when it's so easy to have your own. This is the model I use (Netgear N450).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts