Central/South American Country with most Freedom?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by copperhead51, Apr 23, 2006.

1. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Is anybody out there from South or Central America? Expatriates? What country would have the most freedom? I'm thinking of things like NAIS and a controlled economy, like the U.S. currently has? Thanks.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't know much, but we lived 8 years in Panama. One thing I do know is that a foreigner can't buy land unless he is married to a Panamanian...or at least, it was like that then! So, check the laws on who can own land, as well as what the conditions are like for those that already do.
    Meg

3. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Conditions are always subject to change, too. A country might have freedom now, but if the government changed, things could go downhill quickly, especially if you were an American living there(not that the locals would have it good, but they might take advantage of the opportunity to "get some" on the Yankees they can get at. :nono:
    That's something I'd keep in mind when considering moving to another country.

4. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

There is no place like America. I believe we are the greatest Nation

5. copperhead51

What is great about it?

6. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

Suggest you examine Chile, Panama, Costa Rica. Chile probably is the most stable.

Another option: the Philippines. English speaking, mix of Catholic and Protestants, culturally somewhat conservative but quite free. Land can be owned provided you get the right visa, or it is quite easy to rent it or buy it in someone else's name, or put it into a corporation.

7. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

If you need someone to explain that to ya, go ahead and move to South America.

8. copperhead51

I asked about other countries. I didn't ask about this one.

9. copperhead51

Well, believe it or not, I'd like to be able to drive to it. I have been to Chile and liked it. I haven't been to Costa Rica. Will have to examine Panama more closely.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

We have the most powerful military and more Nuclear weapons and mind control technology and Tin foil hats of anyother country.I have researched South america extensively but I have yet to find a place preferable to AR atleast till people actually go to jail or fined fo rnot "chipping" when that happens I will take my family out of america faster than you can say by. When you all are "chipped yourselves and on camera everytime you go outside just remember keep telling yourselves we are the most free country maybe if you tell each other that and say it often enough you will believe it.

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I investigated the philippines last year and you could not own land only lease it unless married to a local.(not a bad option but I am married already)

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Not exactly an answer to your question but I've some time in Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica and of course Mexico.

Mexico is my least favorite. It's ok mind you but when compared with other places it is my least favorite. I definitely don't like the border areas of Mexico. Some of those places are downright dangerous.

If I could lead a junta and rule one country as the quintessential (pun intended) military strongman I would pick Costa Rica. Nice country. Folks were extremely nice. Where I stayed everything was "junglely" if that is a word. Just screamed Central America. Had a great time there.

I spent quite a bit of time in Brazil. Most of it was on a farm. I loved the country. I found the farming operation pretty interesting and the surrounding countryside was simply fascinating. The wildlife was spectacular. The people in the surrounding villages were wonderful and I became quite the celebrity being the huge 6'7" American who simply slaughtered Portuguese when he tried to speak it. The kids especially were a riot. The folks were poor of course but not any worse off than any other third work country and seemed very happy and healthy. They were far better off than those in the cities. The slums in Brazil were bad. I didn't spend a lot of time in the big cities other than coming and going and a few trips. You had to be careful of course but not much more than any bad part of a city in the US. Being a guy I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the girls in Brazil were simply...well....stunning. Wow. Mercy. And many were very sweet funny and quite nice girls I might add.

Argentina was pretty nice. Again it was a farming/ranching operation in a more rural area. I didn't get to stay quite as long. I found the people pretty nice. The food was good. Those old boys really know how to ride horses down there by the way. I've always wanted to go back but never have had the chance.

I don't know that I'd ever want to abandon the US for any of those places though. It is tempting however when faced with ever encroaching nannyism.

13. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, you can ask this question! In some countries, including those in Central/SA, that question might be the LAST ? you ever ask.

I love going to the HuffPo site... full of America Haters, who frothingly pontificate about how evil this country is and how saintly our enemies are.....the irony is, if they lived in one of those blessed countries, they'd last a day or two before they were 'disappeared'... Dissent is not allowed... Disagreement is a form of 'suicide by free speech', similar to the 'suicide by law enforcement....pull a gun on a lawman, you get shot'.... disagree with a regime, you get shot, chopped, buried, disappeared, sayonarraed, whatever...

I can't see leaving this country because some govt. official has plans for tagging or killing my livestock in case of a nationwide epidemic. Heck, I have plans for killing all of my livestock, under several nasty scenarios...

14. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

And rebels that will kidnap you and decapitate you thereby setting you free to experience paradise(if you were a good person that is), after taking you on a march thru hell and extorting money for your life.
    Americans are targets there. Maybe Morocco, I hear the cost of living is real low there. they are a tad conservative too, but they are a theocracy, you just need to change your religious affiliation.

15. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned Paraguay. I lived there about 10 years, but that was 20 years ago. However, I went back 2 years ago for about a month, and it is really a pretty stable country. As far as I know, you can buy land there. There are many very pretty locations, and the people are very friendly. When we were there 2 years ago, we saw some land for sale at $22/acre. It was about 11000 acres. Granted, it was in the most arid part of the country, but the Mennonites have made a good go at agriculture in that area. Pretty remote area. Argentina is also a good choice, as it has some great land values, and is relatively stable.

16. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

Tell us more gccrook.... I'm open to relocation. a Mennonite community is a good sign.

17. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

Concerning the Philippines, the Muslims are in the far south, the NPA (Commies) are in the far north. The middle part is OK. You can either be leased land long-term, or as I mention get a certain kind of visa that does allow you to buy property and live there long term (sort of like a US green card).

However, being able to drive there is a good idea in terms of limiting your search.

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

They have successful mennonite communities in other south american countries Belize comes to mind Anyone interested in real peoples ideas/experiences of living in south america go to www.escapeartist.com and do a search for the country of your choice a number of interesting articles will pop up as well as e-zines that you could purchase on the countries. I have read a lot of stuff on that site but I am still planning on sticking it out in AR till things get really bad.

19. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, Belize had a bunch of Mennonites when I was there, they had left Mexico because the gov't there was trying to stop them from home-schooling. According to the tour guide anyway.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

This is all I could find in the way of articles on Paraguay I guess it is off the beaten path.

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/58/Driving_To_South_America.html

“Well, we made it to Paraguay, and are now screwed. It’s been 50 hours since we left Ushuaia, and we covered 2,705 miles. We have no cash because the Paraguayan border guards extorted it all from us. Not surprisingly we cannot find a working ATM that will accept either of our cards. I am feeling giddy and think it’s been way too long since I slept…what do we have to eat? Oh great, f---ing Kit Kat Bars, peanut butter, and some water. Where the hell are we going to park anyway?”