Central NY get-together Aug. 26th and 27th

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HilltopDaisy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, I really want this to happen!! I just called the office of Bowman Lake State Park, and the place sounds perfect. It's located in Chenango County, between Cortland and Norwich. 650 acres and a 35 acre lake for boating and fishing, swimming, paddleboat rentals, etc. We can rent a pavillion for $15 a day. There are 198 campsites, nature trails, sounds wonderful. Call 1-800-456-2267 to reserve camping sites. I think he said $15 a night plus $2.50 service fee, but a bit more if you reserve ahead of time. I have no idea how to get sites near each other?? I have to work Sat, but will come after work and spend the day Sunday. I need to know how many people are planning on coming so I know if we want to reserve the pavillion. Google Bowman Lake State Park, or NY State parks to see the place. Contact info at the actual office (607) 334-2718.

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

3. HilltopDaisy

Boxwoods, are you drunk?? I just called them AGAIN to confirm your statement and the man said that is not true! He said "Open and FULLY functional!", and he has no idea where you would have heard such a thing!

4. HilltopDaisy

OK, I just called the 800 number and the recording said HECTER state park is closed! You heard wrong.......

5. boxwoods

duh, I swear I called the reservation number for bowman and they said it was closed till August 24th. and I don't drink :)

6. HilltopDaisy

I believe that number is for all the state parks!

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

okay, do-over time!!!

i was going to pop in and say meetings other HT members for picnics and such is a whole lots of fun!!!!!!

8. HilltopDaisy

Marvella, I've met so many wonderful people from this site! Boxwoods and I have been friends for a few years now, so he knows I was teasin' with him. I figure the weather will still be warm enough for swimming, but cool enough at night for sleeping. We can have a nice fire and share some good food and conversation; I can't wait!

9. boxwoods

Okay I called the office and they said it was open and no problems.
    sorry about that!. They do have campsites near the pavillion. Showers and restrooms near the campsites to.

So who is going?? :)

10. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I wanna go but I am stuck with manditory overtime for the remainder of the month. I have to work cause I am the only person available who knows the whole job. Everyone else is on vacation the last two weeks of August :(. Since the park is so close I figure I can bop in for an hour or so to visit. Hope your meet is very successful!
    Linda

11. HilltopDaisy

I know a lot of us have to work weekends, so even a little time together will be nice.

12. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Count me in, sounds great, thanks Cathy!!!!!. How is the doeling?...Joan

13. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Well of course, I have to show up. Bowman State Park is in my backyard! But I can't camp, animals, you know.

katlupe

14. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I can't go- Cadet Kady has to be back to VMI on the 27th and we'll leave the 26th for Virginia. :grump: Toast me around the campfire tho!

Stacy

15. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I'll try to get up for Sunday. Sounds like fun. Have been wanting to meet you Hilltop Daisy and boxwoods, too. Any directions?
    Ann

16. HilltopDaisy

Ann, you would be coming up Rt 81, right? Then get on Rt12, going east, and get off in Oxford. I'll get you better directions, or at least the actual address so you can type it into MapQuest.

Stacy, we can't ever seem to connect :shrug: . One of these days!

Joan, Shasta is doing great! She's growing so fast!

17. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I will try to get there one day or the other, but probably won't camp out -- garden and work, etc. will keep me from that. I look forward to meeting who ever may be there!

MaryNY

18. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

So is boxwoods providing all the food??? :)

19. HilltopDaisy

Boxwoods is a very, very generous man, and a good cook to boot! Maybe someone who attended another region's get-together can offer us suggestions on how they worked it. My first thought is for folks to show up with whatever type of grilling meat (or whatever) and also bring a dish to pass? Obviously we won't have a fridge so we need to take that into consideration. I just called to reserve a pavillion and she said I have to call back after 1 o'clock. Should I reserve it for both days or just Sunday? I'm thinking just Sunday, as we can hang out at each others campsites Sat. night. What do you all think?

20. HilltopDaisy

Also, we should come up with a way to identify each other, maybe tie a red bandana on our antenna's?