Central Fireplaces??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PaleRyder, Oct 23, 2005.

1. PaleRyder

PaleRyder Member

How does one find a good fireplace plan or blueprint?
    One for the living room with the chimney to go straight thru to the upstairs so that everyone benefits from the heat it provides and not just the downstairs??

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Since when did fireplaces provide heat? Most people who I know that have fireplaces say that the fireplace sends so much fresh air up the chimney that all of the backrooms are ice cold whereas the room the fireplace is in is warm.

3. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

As a kid, we had what was called "heatelators" (sp?) these were hollow "tubes" or tunnels going up each side of the chiminey. There is a vent near the floor, and one end of this tunnel, and another one at the top. This allows cold air to enter at the bottom vent, then the warm air leaves at the top. This heats the air by convection currents. The ones we had worked wonderfully, and if you had a roaring fire, could heat you right out the room!
    You must have these put in while the chimney is being built as they are part of the structure of the chimney, not an add on. If you do not do it when you build it, you are out of luck. So I would definately design it into the fireplace/chimney.

4. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Rumford fireplaces heat well. Here is a link on them: http://www.rumford.com/chimneyfireplaces1.html

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The "Central" fireplace issue only worked becuase you had a HUGE fire box down below and you put many many many BTU's of energy up the fireplace and the radiant heat would warm the rooms. Your better off making a multi flu chimney and then having fireplaces, inserts or wood stoves in each room now a days.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Okay, now I understand. When someone mentions “fireplace”…especially when asking about building plans….my mind immediately thinks of the old 100% masonry fireplaces. These old fireplaces were heat wasters.

I agree that a “heatilator” type set-up is the way to go nowadays. These steel and fire brick units that are built into a masonry, stone, or brick fireplace/chimney facades are the way to go. These wood-burning units are essentially air-tight woodstoves and will provide as much heat as a woodstove.

As far as plans for building one of these types of fireplaces, check either of the following two websites:
    http://www.kozyheat.com/
    http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/fireplaces/accueil_foyer.asp

Both websites have plans for building a fireplace around their zero-clearance wood-burning units.

The photo below is of our zero-clearance fireplace. It uses the Opel unit made by RSF. It heats the entire 1300sf first level of our house.

[​IMG]