Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in the early '80's, when I was in college, there were always enterprising sorts that set up tables by the campus bookstore...some would sell jewelry, some cookies, and there was usually someone selling book bags and "hoodies" - usually in natural colors with earthtone accents, I assumed wool but maybe cotton.

ANYway, does anyone know what those old pullover hoodies may have been called? (I want to find a pattern)

They were of fairly simple construction, of a straight cut, the straight sleeves were actually one piece with the garment, cut like a "T". The neckline was kind of a keyhole slot in front, with a front yoke that tapered slightly down then ended in an short "V". Oh, and the hoodie had a pocket on the front, from the bottom seam up a ways, to put your hands in.

I found 3 yards of a blue herringbone suit fabric (wool ?)at a thrift shop, & I 'd like to make this hoodie made out of it.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I remember those things too! They kept you warm & were usually made from natural-looking fiberous material. But....I can't remember what they're called.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baja Jacket
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A Baja Jacket, Baja Hoodie or Baja Sweatshirt[1] refers to a Mexican pullover with a single large pocket on the front. Baja Jackets are made with a variety of different materials most often Cotton, Acrylic, and Polyester. They are very popular in the Hippie subculture and among fans of post-hair metal.

That sounds like it! I'll let you know how the pattern search goes.

Thanks, Kmac!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search not going so well. Can anyone point me towards some leads/links?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, countrystyle! that may be my best bet...I have regular hoodie patterns, but all calling for knit fabric & extra roomy. the tutorial shows a nice, close fitting garment, I think I can pull that off!

·
Registered
746 Posts
We called them Jarga's. Maybe that will help with the shirt.
I used to own two or three.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I looked at the Jedi idea. I would be concerned about the underarm seams. Its one thing to just use as a costume, but what will it do over wear? Perhaps curving the seam. Also its so pointed. (underarm)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts