Central Air conditioning installation..

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by oz in SC, Jul 20, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We are trying to replace our 28 year old central A/C unit.

We have recieved various quotes from $5000 up to $9000... :rolleyes: and needless to say we do NOT want to spend that much.

I has the specs on the unit and looked it up and can buy the unit for around $1400 delivered.

It is a package unit so installation is not as involved as other units so paying at least $3000 is ridiculous.

We have tried finding someone locally to just install it with no luck so....we have come to the conclusion we might have to do it ourselves...

Any thoughts/advice?

Or anyone want to come to SC and install it???? :p

Thanks all.

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I have only worked on car /coach "air" and it aint that dificult , (aparrt from where they hide the evaporator ) the bigest problem is you need a real good vaccum pump to suck all the air out of the system before its gassed up , anyone that can solder plumbing can solder air conections ,(we use silver solder) you need to know how much gas goes in the system and that is by weight , ( bathroom scales with the gas cylinder on them ) how you find that out i dont know , to little or too much gas and it wont work , as you will not have a gas " sniffing" wand the best way to check for leaks is to leave the vacum guages hooked up overnight (switched off)and see if the system looses vacum.the gas system MUST be perfectly tight .

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

There's no soldering or charging necessary with a package unit. That's all done at the factory. The only thing you would have to do is hook your ducts up. Make sure the return and supply are hooked to the right duct.

You may have to install your backup heat strips. Some come with them already in and some come seperate. Then it's just a matter of making sure the unit's level and hooking up your wires. If you like, oz, pm me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll be glad to talk you through anything you need.

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

One other thing Oz. Make sure the price you were quoted includes the heat strips. In the ones that come seperately they usually price them seperately.

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Heating and A/C are oneof the biggest rackets going. Consider that the difference between your $1400.00 and their $5,000.00 is OBSCENE profit. $3600.00 for a half days work ain't bad wages.

Guess why no one will come hook it up for you - you cut them out of their pay.

6. oz in SC

Thanks,there are two types-one with electric heat and one with a heat pump.

Both are near the same price.

Heat pumps are used a lot down here as it never really gets COLD...maybe 24 degrees or so at the most.

I appreciate the help...

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Oz, call a mobilehome sales place and ask whom they use when a home is relocated. These guys are used to working for wages. I had a package unit installed in the place of a wornout unit and it only costs me $200. I provided all materials and had the replacement unit on site. The installer was happy as the $200 included a substantial tip.

8. oz in SC

That is a VERY good idea...

Thank you.

9. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Lots of guys do "side work" to pick up extra money, but with the current housing boom there too few guys and too many jobs.

About 3 years ago, I had a 3 1/2 ton unit put in (inside and out, with two extra ducts run) for $2200.

10. norris

norris Well-Known Member

11. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

THanks NORRIS dandy forum