Centipedes,how To Get Rid Of?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Jul 7, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Hi,evry couple of years we have an onslaught of centipeded(I think),about half an inch long invade our house.They come up from the ground by the foundation and manage to get into the house.How do we get rid of them?We live in NJ if that matters.Thanks for any help.

2. CherieOH

CherieOH Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless they are invading your house, I would leave them alone. They are beneficial in that they eat bad insects, like roaches, flies and moths. They won't hurt you or bother your food. I pretty much leave them alone unless I see one in my house and then I'll kill that one. If you want to deter them from getting into your home, ventilate your home, basement or crawl space to keep it as dry as possible, since centipedes like moist areas. Only as a last resort would I turn to chemicals, and then I would choose a safer product like diatomaceous earth in a strip around the foundation of my house and other structures.

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

4. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

Both centipedes and millipedes require moist conditions. You may have a moisture problem around your foundation - perhaps under the house. If you can figure out what is causing that and correct it, I suspect your critter problems will stop.

Bill

5. inthewoods

inthewoods Well-Known Member

We are being invaded also! We've had millipedes coming in through the basement for about 2 weeks now. They don't hurt anything but are very annoying. They come in, then die. I have been vacuuming them several times a day.

At least they don't bite like centipedes. Are you sure yours are centipedes? Millipedes roll up into a ball and give off a nasty odor when you pick them up. bleck..

BTW, I'm in TN.

6. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

inthewoods,your right,their millipedes.It happes every few years.i bought a pesticide and sprayed the outside of the house,hopefully that will work.I didn't want to use a chemical but my wife and I have had enough of them.

7. inthewoods

I know what you mean, we're tired of them too! Some nights they are all over the outside wall trying to find a way in. They also get on the sides of the kids pool. I've been spraying them with Ortho Home Defense. It kills them but they keep coming back.

I've read that they like moisture and light. I guess that would explain why they die quickly after getting into our dry, mostly dark finished basement.

8. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Thats what I just sprayed,Ortho Home Defense,I'll let you know if it works out better for us.

9. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

inthewoods,there back.The Ortho worked for a few days then they came back,though not as bad as they were.

10. inthewoods

They are here also. They seem to be worse when it rains. I've stopped spraying and have just been vacuuming them.

We've been in this house for 5 years and this is the first time we've had them.

11. inthewoods

Just read this: During heavy rainfall, water levels in the soil force millipedes to find shelter somewhere else. It has been reported that homes in wooded areas with virtually virgin soil, still filled with quantities of decaying vegetation, are particularly susceptible to infestation.

http://countyext.okstate.edu/oklahoma/Old web/milliped.htm

BASIC, do you live in a wooded area?

12. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Yuck there all over our house too. It has been rainging for 4 days off and on. Yep were in a wooded area. :)

Guess we'll just leave them alone for now. Maybe they'll eat the Asian lady bugs. Yeah that's the ticket. :D

13. getoverit

getoverit Member

Oh my goodness - we have centipedes in our house - not too often but every once in a while one goes scooting on by or dashing up a wall. I really didn't know too much about them except that they give me the willies - but now after checking out the informational website posted by Darren - I just learned they bite!! Are they aggressive biters?? Do they hurt bad? Yuck! :eek:

14. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Insecticides don't work well on millipedes and roly-poly's...Folks around here spray and spray and spray. These critters crawl through the insecticide, into the house where they finally die (even though they would've died if you did absolutely nothing).

I figure if the millipedes and roly-poly's are going to die anyway in my house and I'm going to have to sweep them up whether I use and insecticide or not, I might as well not waste my time, money or exposure to insecticides. Vacuum or broom.

You can also put flat mouse glue boards in the corners of rooms - especially basements/bathrooms/laundry rooms. If you have a pet or small kids, put the boards under a piece of furniture - very sticky. Spiders, millipedes, centipedes and whatever else running around tend to gravitate towards corners of rooms. Traps work great to stop them right there.

15. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

where in nj are you i was born and raised there

16. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

inthewoods,we have woods around us but not real close.Theres just grass around our house,you can see where there eating it.I thought they eat decaying vegatation not green.We got them a few years ago.
    mtman,sir,we live in Sussex county,where did you live?

17. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Hey Basic,

We are in Morris County and we have the same problem, we live next to a county park but we have never had this problem. They are crawling up our foundation and making their way into our basement also.

I thought it was just us, been crushing these things for weeks. I just walk around with a paper towel and crunch they're gone. Doesn't seem to making it any better though. Are they indeed centipedes? Can't find anything that looks like them.

Hope you find something that works better than my technique!

18. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy I would kill them any way ya could....they bite and it is painful!...I never knew they bit untill a few weeks ago when i was pulling out my couch to wash the windows behind it..i placed my hand on the corner of the couch and felt searing pain...thought i got stung by a wasp!...right on my finger and they thing wouldnt let go...my finger swelled to the size of a breakfast sausage...I called my DR. when a red line started to run down my finger and up my arm...I was having an allergic reaction to the bite...I had to get shots in my hip for the reaction and my finger was swollen and hurt for about 3 days...so be very careful around them...I now collect the ones i find in the house incase my children or animals are bit by them. this way if we dont catch it we can still take the jar to the DR's and they can identify the correct one that has bitten...dale anne