Census

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tracy, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Just got a stupid census questioner. I find a lot of these questions personal and do not want to answer this.
    I called the number and they said if it is not filled out in its entirety you could face a $5000.00 fine.
    Anybody know what has to be answered, if at all?

2. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of Census?

veme

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

United States Department of Commerce

Some of the stupid questions
    Ethnic background
    What time you leave for work
    How many minutes do you drive to work
    Education
    Work location
    Type of business
    Income

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

You are supposed to answer it all and it is correct they can fine you, BUT the census bureau has never fined anyone for not completing the decennial census or these supplemental ones. For the decennial census, if you do not send in your completed form they are supposed to send a census worker out to ask you the questions, if you are not home they will try one more time and then ask your neighbours. I imagine the procedure is pretty much the same for the supplementals.

5. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my! :nono:
    I wouldn't answer those questions. Uncle Sam can have my age, occupation, how many people live in my house, marriage status and that about it.

veme

6. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Just throw it in the trash - you know how bad the mail service is now days! The census is only to count numbers of people and that is ALL it can legally amass figures on.

7. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Did they include the lovely tracking device you're supposed to wear?

Next thing we'll have to give blood samples to be able to grocery shop.

Yesh.

Kat

8. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

In the trash it went. Went on website and it says if you dont answer they will send some one to your house. Let them, they have to get past 4 HUGE dogs that have the run of the property [invisible fence] and their own doggie door to come in and out as they please!
    I dont mind answering the basics but WOW, I could not belive some of these questions.

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

The income question helps determine what the income bracket in your region is. This will come into effect if your locality asks for federal funding for anything.

Your ethnic background comes into play for affirmative action, not you personally, but the region in particular. The affirmative action program needs to know ethnic background, gender, and how many people in each catagory are qualified for specific occupations.

Your commute to and from work could come into play if your locality wants money for highways, air pollution concerns, that sort of thing.

Someone will ask your neighbors your private business. In actuality, I believe that you only HAVE to answer name, age, ethnic background, residence, maybe one or two others. This will give someone a temporary job, hunting down people who don't return the forms.

10. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I went through this a couple months ago...I threw the away the form packets three different times....then the phone calls started...that was even more annoying.
    I couldn't shake the calls and gave in, but on a good note the answers were not that important over the phone...I was able to use "I don't Know" on any of questions asked and that was the end of it all.

11. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Census questionaire? Sorry, I never noticed it. :shrug: LOL

12. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

So in order to get federal funding everyone should state they are in a low income bracket so uncle same, or should I saw the tax payer that are footing the bill anyway can get funding.

I hate affirmative action, should not depend on the persons skin color. Should be based on the persons work ethics.

So we should all respond that we drive 90 miles one way to work and drive gas guzzling SUV'S so we can get more funding.

Good, that temporary job might get someone off welfare and will save me my tax dollars for a couple months!
    Let them talk to my neighbors, they will say the same as what I was willing to give, number of people in household, ages, etc. My neighbors dont know my income or all the other crap the census bureau asked. That is if the neighbors will even talk to them. They are all Amish and are pretty private.

Sorry this has really rubbed me the wrong way.

13. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, if I ain't gonna tell 'em about me, I ain't gonna tell 'em about my neighbors either.....on that one, I really COULD answer "I don't know....ask them".

I threw all the stuff away that came on the last 10 year one.....they finally sent someone to the house. I told them 2 adults live here, and under the Constitution the census is for the purpose of apportionment of Representatives to the CONgress. "None of your other questions are pertinent that, and I have no intention of answering them....have a nice day and GIT off my property"

That fine and jail time is simply their bark.....pay it no mind.

14. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Last time I filled one out, when they asked for "race" I put "human"

15. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I hate things like this. Many times I answer whatever comes to mind. Race like Bearfoot said in previous post has been answered either "human or American"
    When do I leave for work. "15 minutes before I have to be there" Education it all depends, most days I am learning something just depends on how hard the lesson might be that day :rolleyes: I realize much of the information is already known.....but doesn't mean I have to confirm it! :p If they call me they will find out how grumpy I can be if I am bothered when I prefer not to be :nana:

16. RosewoodfarmVA

RosewoodfarmVA Well-Known Member

We received one of those long ones about four years ago. I think it was about 3 or 4 pages long with all sorts of irrelevant, prying questions. The first one went in the woodstove. About a month later got a second one with a notice of a fine (can't remember how much) on it if not sent back. It also "disappeared." About 3 months later a worker showed up. He asked about it...."what survey?"... Said he was performing a USgovt census. We said how many lived here, m/f, said goodby. According to the uscensus original laws (which I'm sure have been changed by now) they are only required to get the number of residents and m/f. They also like to have ages. Also, the original censuses were only taken every ten years. I guess with people moving hither, thither, and yon, they need it more often. They certainly don't need to know the route I take to work (variable depending on the location of the job), or whether I have central AC(no), or how many bathrooms work, or where my kitchen sink drains to (back pasture)....etc. Haven't seen or heard anything from them now in about 3 years. Apparently, it's a "random" survey, not even a true census, as not all households receive one. Don't worry about it. I do feel that a true census (number of residents) is good and helpful for proper govt. function, not to mention representation, but when it gets personal, that's wrong!

17. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

I got one of those a long time ago. I answered just as it means to . I used I don't know on many of the questions. also from time to time I used I don't remember. They even came to my house and got the same anwers. I forget alot.

18. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

The census is authorized by the constitution which also gives Congress the right to determine what is involved in the census. Congress has passed this right on to the Census Bureau. Not sure if the rules have changed, but the personal census records were sealed for 75 or 100 years, only the statistical evidence was available. The old census records are a fantastic source for tracing ones ancestry and community histories. Did you have someone who fought in the Revolution? Census records can help find that out. Rather than just a head count to determine apportionment, today's census provides vital information for many public and private purposes.
    And yes, the law requires you to answer the questions, but I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for failing to answer. Mostly because there are so many other ways to find the answers needed.

19. city_grown

city_grown Active Member

I did not fill mine out and they sent another one with a letter about the fine but my kids spilled milk on it. So I threw it away. Then one evening a lady called and said she was from the census. I answered the questions but put in my comments as much as possible. I had a hard time remembering certain info that day.

20. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

My brother used to be one of the people who visited when you didn't fill out the forms. Do it and throw in some goofy stuff, that'll fix 'em.