cell phones & internet service in the mountains

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homebody, Feb 3, 2005.

1. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

Our land is (in AR) is surrounded on 3 sides by mountains. Don't have cell phone now as we are still in MO. Wonder if one would work there? Are some services better than others? Will have solar power with diesel backup. Will need internet connection also. Have to have for home business selling over internet. Any information on these 2 things will be appreciated. Thank you. :)

2. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

We are delighted with Starband 2 way internet service...we live WAY out in the middle of nowhere, and I am posting this! Starband used to team up with Dish Network, so you can still find dealers that can do both...so you only need the one dish for both. The dish is bigger than a TV satellite dish, but not huge...about 30 inches wide. Dish TV horns are located off to one side of the dish and do not interfere with the internet service. Can watch TV and be on internet at same time, and no need for phone service. Good thing for us, because cell phones out here don't work too good. the one we use that works "ok" depending on where you stand is Tracfone, but it is expensive being prepaid. Regular cell phone service out here is worse though, so we stick with Tracfone.

Sure could not have this even 6 years ago, hooray for electronic progress!

maddy

3. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

With some of the VOip (voice over internet protocal) services, you can even run your telephone over that same satellite used for internet connections. You can send and receive phone calls just like a standard phone.

I use a VOip phone, but over cable internet... its about half the cost of a land line phone - and it allows me to call anywhere anytime in Canada or the U.S. as part of the 500 minute package. I've never used anywhere close to that, so basically I have a phone and free long distance.

cheers,

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

When we took a trip to Arkansas last summer our cell phone didn't work anywhere...even on the highest mountain when we stopped for a guy stranded on the side of the road....didn't see a whole lot of towers either. Sure wouldn't count on good service,at least in the central mountain area. DEE who doesn't always get the best service even here in the MO. ozarks

5. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

We have our internet connection through our rural cell at our remote homestead up here in Alaska. We used a Yaggy antenna set about 30 feet up in a spruce tree, it was OK when th wind wasn't blowing. The downside was it made regular dial up seem fast. We had to turn the graphic off and virus up dates were near imposable. We used a lap top on a 12v setup. To do our updates we would take it with us on shopping trips and do them in town.
    Hope this helps.

Alaska HOMESTEADING Journal

6. homebody

I've been looking into some of the previous mentioned ways of internet service.Our highest mountain is on the north side of property, with lesser ones to west and south. I understand that we'd need unobstructed view of southern sky and if an antenna could go up on the northern mountain far enough that might work, depends on how long the antenna would have to be.Very steep incline there, about 65-75 degree slope. If we could het the broadband internet service I think we could get the VOip as mentioned before. Kind of confusing to me. I do know that we can NOT move to a location without some kind of phone that works and internet service. Checked on Tracfone and not available in our particular area. :waa:

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

cingular seems to work best in the mts. of ar.

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Definitely don't get a Tracfone. It is very expensive and they charge you just for dialing out even if you get a busy signal or no answer at all. They also charge you for 800 numbers. Your local company probably has a good plan for emergencies. We are going to look into it ourselves. If you decide on the Tracfone, you can have ours. It is in the closet. We used it twice and paid $20 for the 2 calls. You have to purchase minutes in advance or lose your number. You also lose your minutes if you don't use them. Not good for emergencies if you only want to call out once or twice a month.

9. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We have alltel and we live in the river valley Ar surrounded my mts and our cell phone works almost everywhere.

We use direcway for sat. internet and I guess it's ok but it's not as good as cable. It is a six hundred dollar hookup for equipment and install but if you opt for a 12 mth contract at $99.00 mth its less money.
    We also run an internet business.

We use a different Sat. service for TV

My cell works in Protem MO also and that is in the Mts of MO

10. homebody

Hello Siryet,
    Our land is about 5+ miles north of Hagarville. Is the bill for monthly Internet service $99? We would pay in full for the hookup and install. Like I said, the only clear view we have is to the east. Pretty remote but can still hear big trucks on I-40 when the wind is just right. Would have all the privacy and nature we want, probably more than we want :D

11. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

On a mountain in north-central AR, a friend of mine uses Cingular and it seems to work okay on my property. Her BIL uses AT&T, but it won't work inside my house. He has to walk out to the road.

My Sprint stops working about 50 miles before I get there. When I move there permanently, I will get Cingular. Can't get it yet because it isn't offered here in Virginia Beach.

12. swamp_deb

swamp_deb Well-Known Member

If you can get AT&T it is now Cingular. I would check again to see if it is available.

13. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I drive the length of AR 2 x a week. I have Verizon and it works everywhere I go. They also have a wireless internet service that I know nothing about.
    I don't know about other companies, but with Verizon you have 2 wks to try it and if you don't like it you can return or cancel whatever you get. I have purchased accessories and returned them within the 2 wks with no problem. If you go to any cell phone store BE SURE IT"S A COMPANY RUN STORE. Many of the stores are franchises and don't offer the same deals and usually don't know jack about their system.