Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my darling 12 year old daughter destroyed my iPhone today. I think I will just live with out one. The more I think about a cell phone it is a pain, distraction, and a waste of time. I think I will see how long I can go with out.
LOL 1 hour and counting….

any one else cell-less?

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
No, but I am confident you can do it. I wish you well. It will similar to making the transition to no TV. I didn't know how I was going to get by without it, but now I can't stand to see one. (Except for several nights in the upcoming week+ on Fox--starting Tuesday:):):)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
How did she destroy it? Mine has flushed one down the toilet, dropped one in the tub, lost one, and dropped one off the deck and cracked the screen.
I personally can't live without mine.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
We got rid of our cell phones when we retired almost 3 yrs ago. I do have a tracfone but it is never turned on. It is for emergency only. The first month or two it was kinda of awkward but now we are so use to NOT having one I forget we have the tracfone.

We are constantly laughing at those that are addicted to their phone. Look how much money you will save.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
I don't use it much but cell phones saves me MUCH more time than they cost. A quick text can mean the difference in a extra 5 minutes in town or a couple hours spent going home then having to go back to town to get that important item.

A text can let me know exactly when someone is going to be at a location which means I don't have to show up and sit waiting on them. Really helps when something has come up and they are going to be 30 or more minutes later than first thought.

A cell call to 911 gets help to a accident a lot faster than having to drive down the road to find a house with a phone to call.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not cell-less here but I'm a pay as you go who hates talking on the phone so I keep phone calls less than 1 min long. Then again when I phone my dad or vice versa thoughs calls average 30 secs or less - he's like me in hating talking over the phone. Texting I also refuse to learn - if I don't know how I can use it as an excuse :D

T

·
0 Posts
I use mine a bunch, and would be lost without my iPhone.

I rarely talk, but need to hear my children's voices occasionally...
I text a lot, currently Hubster is in FLA and it took us 48 hours to speak, as we text each other normally.
I listen to audiobooks while driving, and occasionally some music.
I use the maps quite often when driving, as the directions come out my radio speakers.
Often, I don't need to call or text, as we can see each others' locations using FindMyFriends app.
Using FindMyFriends, I can set it to notify me when daughter returns to her home, and then I call her... Instead of interrupting class or work or bother her when she is driving.
I save and eMail receipts and leases using a PDF maker called Genius Scan.
My alarm clock is in my phone, and I have an alert to remind me to stop and eat lunch even... LOL!
I use the camera daily.
And I access forums with mine.
I do all my banking from my phone and rarely have to drive to the bank. eDeposits are convenient.

We don't have a land line at the house.

BTW, I have been a techie my whole life...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I don't know how cave men lived with out them :) I don't have one nor will I get one, had one once, my son confiscated it and never saw it since.:) My wife has an emergency one, that is all. I grew up with out them, I remember when they looked like a small brief case and sold for 1500 dollars. Now I can't wait to get rid of the land line. My daughters and wife need it for work, and all the relatives have it (that is mostly why I want to get rid of it :)) I hate when people disturb me with the land line, how much worse would it be if I had one on me all the time. Oops my anti-social tendencies are showing. You'll do fine with out it, if it is important people will find a way to get a hold of you.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
We got a trac phone last December when we sat for the grandsons while their brother had surgery. DS3 and DIL don't have a land line any more and they had their cell phones with them at the hospital. The only people who have the number are the kids. We keep it in the car for emergencies only. Never texted on it and only used it a couple of times. Works fine for us.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
I had a cell phone years ago ... first, when I lived on a ranch in MT that was remote enough that there were no phone lines up to the ranch and I had to drive to the top of the hill to be able to call. Kept it while I was doing a lot of long-distance horse hauling, but that was the only time I used it then, just out on the road.

Haven't had one since I quit hauling horses and wouldn't have one now. DH has one, but it's a convenience for him ... he can call from the upper barn about machine parts and I am more comfortable about him working away from the house or driving if he can call someone if he needs assistance.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Not cell-less here but I'm a pay as you go who hates talking on the phone so I keep phone calls less than 1 min long. Then again when I phone my dad or vice versa thoughs calls average 30 secs or less - he's like me in hating talking over the phone. Texting I also refuse to learn - if I don't know how I can use it as an excuse :D
Texting can be an incredible time saver especially if you need to get info to a lot of people. I can shoot a text to the other six guys on my team telling them a meeting time or location has been changed faster than I call ONE of them to give them the same message.

Then there's the fact that when you text some one there's much less chance of error. You tell someone to pick up eight 10 foot 2X4s and you might wind up with ten 8 foot ones. But if you text them they have the info on hand. You might still wind up with the wrong thing but at least you have evidence to show which one of you screwed up.

Unless I need to relay a lot of info or there's something which needs a lot of back and forth I almost always use texting.

Oh, one last thing. When you have some who is either in a noisy environment or they are just hard of hearing and refuse to get hearing aids (like one of my 70+ y.o. friends) texting can keep you from pulling your hair out. "What did you say?" "You want me to eat ten what's at the lumber store?" "Huh?" "You want 8 feet of what size tubing?"

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
no cell very limited cell service at my place like leaning out a window or walking 1/2 mile out of the woods. So it wont work for me.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I don't use it much but cell phones saves me MUCH more time than they cost. A quick text can mean the difference in a extra 5 minutes in town or a couple hours spent going home then having to go back to town to get that important item.

A text can let me know exactly when someone is going to be at a location which means I don't have to show up and sit waiting on them. Really helps when something has come up and they are going to be 30 or more minutes later than first thought.

A cell call to 911 gets help to a accident a lot faster than having to drive down the road to find a house with a phone to call.
Pay phones used to be every where till you needed one. I got mine as a truck driver. Try driving an 18 wheeler around looking for a pay phone. Since I retired and the local phone company are jerks, I love my cell phone. If I do not know who is calling unless I have an add out trying to sell something I do not answer unless I recognize the number.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I have a landline and a tracfone. The cell is for emergency only and I don't even have voice mail set up on it. I love my landline, people can leave a message. :) After having several friends who have been hit by people texting or talking on their cells, I pretty much consider them to be as dangerous as driving drunk.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts