Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our house in the country for sale for the last 4 years and not even any offers. So, we sold our house in town and will be moving back to the country. We can occassionally get texts at the barn, but it's not very consistent. I've seen cell phone signal boosters advertised, but wanted to see if anyone on the forum has one and how well they work.

Any input good or bad?
Bob

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Dh says friend has one in his hunt camp and it works good. He mentioned it when I was up-north last week. My phone does not work up there inside the cabin. I have to go out in the road to get a siginal or even messages.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
We've had our house in the country for sale for the last 4 years and not even any offers. So, we sold our house in town and will be moving back to the country. We can occassionally get texts at the barn, but it's not very consistent. I've seen cell phone signal boosters advertised, but wanted to see if anyone on the forum has one and how well they work.

Any input good or bad?
Bob
.................Wilson is a major mfger of these type of amplifyers ! They can run from 1\4 watt up to 3 watts or more depending upon distance . There are (2) types of antenna's , 1)Omni directional , which receives and sends in a full 360 degree circle , and 2) a 'Beam' antenna which has to be pointed directly at the source of a wifi transmitter . A beam antenna needs to be high enough off the ground so it's send\receive signals aren't deflected by things like water towers , power lines , dense tall tree growth , etc. These kinds of objects will tend to weaken Your transmitted signal by fragmenting it's strength over the distance it has to travel to the wifi transmitter source signal .
..................The wifi 'source' signal is probably transmitting at a much higher power level , say around 100 watts where your amp is probably sending at ~3 watts . Plus, the wifi source antenna is probably Omnidirectional , which means it is receiving thousands of wifi signals from all directions. That is why your directional beam MUST be pointed AT the main wifi transmitter . IF , you live fairly close , say less than 5 miles from a cell tower , the operator does NOT want their computers being hammered by a very strong wifi signal , therefore , I believe that Wilson and other mfgers are building amps that will automatically reduce their output power by analyzing the received signal strength over time . This is why you should evaluate your access Pathway from your home to the cell tower and how high your tower needs to be off the ground to ensure that your antenna can function properly to give you the best service possible . , fordy

·
Registered
247 Posts
We rely on an AT&T and a Verizon tower that goes through our internet to get cell signal where we live. Without them, we can't make calls. We both work from home, and they have proven reliable close to the house.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
The simplest and cheapest I've seen is a simple external antenna, 12" to 15" long, plug in. It boosts received signal, doesn't hammer transmitted signal. I've seen it boost signal from one or two shaky bars to a solid five out of five. The one I use has a small flat base to stand on, magnetised to use on car, and was designed to use in remote areas with unreliable signal. I haven't needed to use a powered signal booster and I haven needed to put it outside a steel roof on an extension lead, but you can do both if you must.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I use a Wilson DB Pro for our Verizon signal. As long as you can mount the outside antenna at least 20 feet higher than the indoor antenna I would suggest looking at their products. We used to always drop calls while inside but never do now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We have one and it works quite well. Full bars, as long as we h ave internet (goes through the router) and power.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We use a zBoost that we bought from Radio Shack. It works great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts