Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit ticked off as my cell phone has gotten some type of internal problem - probably a computer chip messed up or some such. Anyway - I have no choice other than to either get a new phone at a somewhat reasonable price but sign my cell freedom away for another 2 years, or pay an outrageous price for a new phone w/out getting locked in a time limit again. I'm not planning on changing company or plan at this time - I am quite satisfied with both.

For curiosity sake - what is the average life expectancy of your cell phones - and if you happen to be with Alltel - which model are you extremely pleased with??? Am I unreasonable to expect a phone to last longer than 18 months before needing replacing?

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
Don't even get me started on cell phone companies!! :mad:

Anyway, I have a contract with Sprint and they allow you to replace (upgrade) your phone once every two years without having to renew your contract. It's either free or cheap, depending on the model you choose. Maybe Alltel has something similar?

My phones have lasted more than 18 months but I've seen many that haven't so I'll chalk it up to luck more than anything else.

/VM

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Our phone is dead a month before we can get a "free" new one.

I was bellyaching about this, and my mom said "They PLAN it that way! They WANT you to have to buy a new one! It's programmed into them." :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lmnde -

Have you thought about purchasing a phone off of Ebay? I did that with my last phone. I kept my same plan, same account, did not lengthen the contract, and ended up with a very nice phone for a reduced price. Just a thought.

Noah

·
Administrator
19,228 Posts
I just buy them on ebay. It is important when you shop that you shop for phones unlocked to your carrier so you don't have to pay someone to fix that too.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The contract you sign on your phone is different than the one for your service.I found this out after I signed a new service contract when we needed new phones. We got a one year contract on our phones in December and we can get new phones as soon as October. I don't like being under the service contract. We have Verizon.

Tambo

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take your battery out and put it back in. Sometimes it comes loose and just reseating it works. Also, are you sure the battery is ok, I had to replace a battery after 15 mos but that's much cheaper than a new phone.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would be fuming if my cell had died after 18 months. I've had my cell for over 4 years and its still going strong. It has a face plate that is looking pretty ratty but I can live with that. I'm even using the origional battery and charger. It has been on almost continually for 4 years and still holds a charge for atleast 7 days.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We've had our current cel phones (both are the same model) for almost 2.5 years and aside from problems charging the phones on the charger (we have to remove the batteries and charge them seperately) the phones are going strong. I want to buy a couple extra batteries so we can always have one on the charger and one ready to go in a phone.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on my 3rd battery in this phone and yes - I tried removing the batterie and putting it back in - no go - it still says "roaming" everytime I am turning it on. The dude I had yesterday when I went in to get the phone reset [we had a bunch of thunderstorms on the weekend and I assumed it got something to do with that] was trying to tell me that it says roaming because they lost some cell towers in the storm - DUH! I'm old[er] but not THAT old!

The gal that he called in to help, looked at my phone like EEEEW - it is now a discontinued model and out of the stone age, and they tried to politely w/out offending tell me, that it is "old tech", LOL. Time for a nice lime green or purple phone to match your wardrobe, Lady! Or how about red+silver with rhinestones? Fashion police at work in Alltel - who would have thought?

The bottom line is - I think the phone chip did get nicked somehow or our records in their computer system messed up - as when I try to use it, it will send me to some "roaming company" appearantly not associated with Alltel. They took the phone in the back - were gone for a while - and came back with a no-can-do message. If the dude had not been pushing so hard with selling me a new phone, I would have been probably be okay with that - but I had the distinct feeling he wanted a sale [commissioned payscale?], and that he was just back there killing time and not run diagnostics...

The gal did says something along the line of that I am entitled to a free upgrade as it has been over 2 yrs since my last, but he was insisting I needed to commit to get a decent price on a phone. I am going back to talk to someone else today.

I'd love to buy one on Ebay - but I really need to have a working phone on me now - I work out in the woods by myself - and do not want to be out there in a heatwave with snakes underfoot without some type of emergency contact... I can't wait for a week or so to order + receive one from Ebay - I had considered that as well - thanks for the suggestions.

It just really ticked me off - as everytime before I needed a new phone - it was just either when my contract ran out or was just about to - so I kind of agree with the poster who said they plan it that way... If nothing else - after 2 yrs your phone is already obsolete... [And appearantly you are too if you own one that old].

·
Registered
998 Posts
via media said:
Don't even get me started on cell phone companies!! :mad:

Anyway, I have a contract with Sprint and they allow you to replace (upgrade) your phone once every two years without having to renew your contract. It's either free or cheap, depending on the model you choose. Maybe Alltel has something similar?

My phones have lasted more than 18 months but I've seen many that haven't so I'll chalk it up to luck more than anything else.

/VM
How do yo uget that? I have SprintPCS, and they allowed me an upgrade after 2 years, but required a new contract to get the free/cheap phone.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
I was pretty mad too because mine broke down not long after I got it. My friend showed me how to take the Sim card out and put it back in. Now everytime it stops working, I do that and it's fine. Do you think that would help yours or is it physically broken?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm? How do you take the sim card out???

I've been playing with it a bit this morning - as it is not [in my opinion at least] broken - all the other functions still work - just can't make calls and haven't received any in the last 2-3 days.

When I go to the part where it displays your phone # - it shows 000-000-0000 - I am by now pretty sure that this is an Alltel problem and not a problem with my phone - I am going back there after I'm done working with the dogs to fuss at them. By then I'll be hot [104 yesterday afternoon and not much better for today], irritable and more than happy to share my displeasure with them [I was extremely polite yesterday because of being hot, tired and irritable].

I simply think they are in to get as much out of a customer as possible - and selling them a new phone when none is needed and locking them in for another 2 yrs is one way of going there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well - I have got a bloody new phone - along with a 80 page booklet to learn how my new phone works [I knew there was a reason why I didn't want a new one!].

This morning [I decided to go out in 100* heat with a 115* heat index was not a good idea w/out a phone! so I went to get this taken care off before going to work] - customer service was much more considerate and friendly [also more mature, if I may say that]. She tried several ways to get the phone to work, and came to the conclusion that I'd be better off with a new one - I got no feeling of pressure or trying to get screwed over that I had last night with Mr. Overeager, and potentially picked up a new customer and a referral or two. Well - a sale generated from this, would certainly pay for the phone and the phone bill for a year or so...

Anyhow - now that it is all done and over with - I would still like to get an idea about your average life expectancy for your phones - this is my 5th in about 8 going on 9 yrs of using the same company - and I would not say that I am rough on my phone. It does get used daily though, and goes everywhere with me... Just like to get an idea of other ppls useage?

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
My old phones lasted till I killed them accidentally. This new one though is a piece of junk and it started giving me problems within 2 months. It's still holding on but I have to take the Sim card out sometimes. I'm sick of it but as long as it works, I'll keep it. I think when this contract runs out that will be the end of my cell phone days.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
Our cell phones (2) never die...we just seem to get new ones every 4-5 years. Tracfone though...they don't get any money if the phones don't work.

Mon

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
gccrook said:
How do yo uget that? I have SprintPCS, and they allowed me an upgrade after 2 years, but required a new contract to get the free/cheap phone.
I'm not sure...I signed a one or two year contract with them back in 2000 or 2001 and after that contract expired, I just kept paying my bill every month. When it I finally needed a new phone, one of the salespeople in a Sprint store told me about upgrading for free/cheap.

Hmmm...I just checked their website and I wonder if they're forcing people to sign new contracts now. :mad: The text sure leaves them a lot of wiggle room:
Depending on how long you've had service with the same phone—and on the type of contract you choose to renew with Sprint, you could be eligible for up to $150 savings on a wide variety of Sprint or Nextel phones.
/VM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts