Celiac anyone?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ark, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

My son has been very sick for months - steadily getting worse.

We just sent off a test to see if he has celiac disease since he has LOTS of symptoms. He's 14 yrs old.

While we wait on test results, we are supposed to go on a gluten free diet. WHEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is gluten in SO much stuff!!

I'm in shock.

Anyone have any good links for me? THANKS! :)

2. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Sorry he's been ill.Hope he gets better.

3. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

My DH is a celiac. It wasn't as big of a transition as I feared since we were already cooking and baking from scratch. If not, it would be hard, gluten has many forms and is in things you wouldn't imagine, ie. malt flavoring (barley), many food starches, etc. I've learned to bake fairly well with the rice and bean flours, but it isn't the same.

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Zip! \

affenpinschermom - we do a lot of cooking from scratch too, so it wont be as hard for me to change things as it will be for my son to ACCEPT that there are things he cant have any more!
    Do you buy your special flours locally, or order them online?
    I have less than a week to plan some special dishes that he can eat at Thanksgiving. YIKES!

5. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Yes, I am a celiac too. Was finally diagnose in Febr. after many years of on and off trouble with diarrhea. It's just DH and I at home as our children are married so I think that is easier to deal with than with a teen ager. Since I do not like the baked goods with other flours I have just skipped eating baked foods altogether as has DH. But again we are adults. I recommend 3 books that have been extremely helpful to me. Wheat-free, Worry-free, the Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living, by Danna Korn, also Going Against the Grain by Melissa Diane Smith and Breaking the Vicious Cycle, Intestinal Health Through Diet by Elaine Gottschall. All are excellent and helpful. I suggest your son be very involved in learning about his disease. To me knowledge was very helpful in being able to choose the right things to eat. When a celiac eating the wrong foods do have some major consequences. It's sure an adjustment but not the end of the world even for a teen. Good luck to you all. celiac.com is a good source of knowledge too.

6. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

I and my 4 sons all have celiac disease. A great place for info, especially to get you thru Thanksgiving, is www.glutenfreeforum.com .

You can order special flours thru amazon.com, or Bob's Red Mill is a safe brand and our favorite. www.bobsredmill.com

We like Bette Hagman's GlutenFree Gourmet cookbooks. And some easy recipes that mix up like regular can be found at www.gfutah.org

Good luck! I know it is overwhelming. I wish your son the best.

7. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

I make my own bean flour and rice flour mixes. I live in rural Ky, but can get the grains I need in Lexington or Louisville at Whole Oats or I have ordered them on line.
    I do a wild rice dressing for Thanksgiving. I also make pumpkin pie, but use a pecan meal crust. Just make it like a graham cracker crust, but substitue the pecan meal for the graham cracker crumbs.

8. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

affenpinschermom - do you just buy rice and grind it, etc? I really NEED to do this the cheapest way possible. Our budget is tight!
    Thanks again!

townmouse - thanks for all the great links. They are wonderfully helpful!!

chicken - this wonderful lady who just happens to be a goat milk customer of mine, drove 2 hours yesterday to bring me all her books on the subject. Almost every one you mentioned. Thanks so much for the recommendations!!!

9. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

Ark, if you are really on a shoestring, here is how to do GF without spending much extra (this can be hard on kids who are used to breads, though, it is pretty different from mainstream. but you do what you gotta do)

Meats:
    any plain meat, fish, fowl, or pork. starkist tuna.

Other proteins:
    eggs. homemade yogurt. (commercial brands often have gluten-containing stabilizers, except yoplait which is expensive and full of chemicals)
    beans. Old el Paso refried, Bush's beans (trust label), dry beans, peas, lentils

Starches:
    corn tortillas (mission brand, their cheapest is Pepito's)
    potatoes, yams, winter squash
    fruit
    brown or white rice
    buckwheat (this is a fruit/seed, not in the wheat family)

Vegetables:
    any plain

Dairy:
    he may have a little trouble with dairy if he's been a very sick celiac. Often the guts are a mess and can't absorb dairy until some healing happens. If he can tolerate dairy, the only commercial brand that I know to be gluten free (according to their website) is Prairie Farms. Gluten can be hidden in stabilizers and thickeners, this is why you need to be sure. Google.com can help you find info for other brands.

Fats:
    butter, vegetable oils, raw nuts and seeds. Crisco shortenings are all GF. Pam cooking spray is GF.

Beverages:
    tropicana 100% juices are GF, also Mott's apple juice and Juicy Juice. All pepsi and coke products. Capri-sun.

Condiments:
    Ketchup: Heinz
    mustard: french's
    mayonnaise: hellman's
    bbq sauce: original sweet baby ray's
    pickles: Vlasic, Claussen
    peanut butter: jif, peter pan, smucker's natural
    jellies and jams: smucker's
    salsa: Old El Paso or Newman's

***all Kraft products will clearly label if they contain gluten, wheat, oats, barley or rye. So salad dressings, cheese, or anything Kraft you can trust the label.

When we can't afford the GF flours or run out, my boys use corn tortillas for bread. Peanut butter and jelly, Sara Lee deli meat and Kraft cheese, or individual pizzas with Newman's or Prego spaghetti sauce, hamburger, and Kraft cheese.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you need more info.

10. chicken

Ark, do you shop at Aldi's? If you do I can let you know which of their foods are G/F as I have made several inquiries from their sources. How nice that someone was able to loan you some books. Great! And yes you can just grind rice for rice flour. That is what I do for breading purposes, like eggplant, green tomatoes, and I suppose chicken but I usually just bake my chicken whole. Sure worth a try. Of course they sell G/F all purpose mixes but they are pricey but a bag of that used just for breading purposes wouldn't be to bad I suppose, in the long run.

11. chicken

I second the response to having trouble with dairy when healing from celiacs. My test results showed I was having trouble digesting dairy so I am off all dairy except homemade yogurt, which I culture in my oven for 24 hours. I also eat hard cheeses which have little lactose in them like cheddar and colby. No cottage cheese, cream cheese, mozzarella. To much lactose in those cheeses. The aging uses up the lactose. Aren't we all just a wealth of information :)

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Bethany has celiac, but she also cannot have corn. Be careful of going too heavily to one substitute when leaving out gluten, try to have a variety. The hardest thing for her is bread and pizza. I can make a substitute and she eats it without complaining, but I think it is nasty.

If he will eat buckwheat it makes the best substitute for bread in texture. Bethany loves it, so that helps. I have to use a nonstick skillet because you can't use oil or fat and get the texture. Make the buckwheat pancakes with whole egg and buttermilk, using some baking soda for leavening. Only use buckwheat flour, no other flours. Don't put sugar or fat into the batter. You can also stack the pancakes with frosting between for a layer cake and frost it. Tastes pretty good, actually. Or use two with mayo and make a sandwich.

Home ground rice flour works well in a shortbread recipe for cookies. I like the rice flour to thicken gravy too.

Sure hope he gets better. Bethany improved dramatically once she was completely gluten and corn free.

13. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Kim for the buckwheat ideas! The only buckwheat he has tasted was "Cream of Buckwheat" and he loved it!
    Thanks for the pancake/cake/sandwich idea! I'm going to see about ordering flours or whole grains online to save money. I'm glad to hear Bethany is doing well off gluten!

Chicken, right now the only dairy he is eating is goat yogurt or kefir - both made from fresh goat milk at home so I know there are no additives or thickeners or anything. There are no Aldi's here but thanks anyway! I just got a tip from someone that HEB has a lot of gluten free stuff.

Townmouse, thanks for the whole long list of wonderful ideas! I'm going to have to print this whole thread. :p

Last night about 6pm he started feeling TERRIBLE with bad gas and a stomach ache. Then he got diarrhea and so I started questioning him closely and he admitted that he had snitched one bite of cinnamon bread at 9am.

Hopefully now he will see the connection between the
    gluten and how he feels! Thanks to all of you for the help and support! Maybe today we will succeed in having a totally gluten free day! (Yep, I'm tossing that cinnamon bread to the chickens!)

I also just found out I need to check the shampoo!

14. chicken

I'm sure it would help your son immensely if the whole family went gluten free for support, at least at first. And did you know that celiac is an inherited thing so somewhere in his past someone's gene's passed it on to him. They recommend the whole family be tested. My son was tested and he is OK but my daughter has not tested yet but is going to. My genetic testing showed I had gene markers from both my mom and my dad. Just something to consider.

15. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since we sent the test off and we STILL do not have test results. :flame:

Anyway, we have succeeded (finally) in going gluten free long enough to see some wonderful results!! I'm so excited. :p

However, we still mess up too often. But, we are learning fast.

Last Saturday we were on our way home from a Thanksgiving get together and we got french fries. BIG MISTAKE! He got sick from those and today was really the first day he felt good again.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all again for the encouragement! We are thrilled with how well he is doing (when I dont mess up!) and we might even get some school work done now! LOL