Celery

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ed in S. AL, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Any celery growers here? I have often wondered how good it grows in the home garden. Does it like cool or warm temps?

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've two types started right now, a pascal and a self blanching type. Check with me in a few months and I'll let you know how it's working for us. My plan was a good cool mulch when it got hot this summer along with some shade cloth. I'm hoping to be able to harvest stalks during the growing season as needed and let the plant keep growing till frost time, then pull the entire plant. I want to see how long it will keep A)in a crisper bin if the root is washed and still attached B)if it will keep in a container of wet gravel in a cool back room.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I'm trying it for the first time this year. So far, the plants look pathetic...I hope to plant them outside this week, so hopefully they'll perk up when they start growing in all of that good compost.

4. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

I grew it last year for the first time. We are in Wyoming. It was the first time any of us had tasted homegrown celery and now we all dislike the store bought stuff! Ours was a darker green and had a stronger flavor.

I don't know the variety, as I had bought seedlings just to try it. It would wilt down and look half dead, but perk up as soon as I watered it heavily. It seemed to like the heat more than the cooler periods, but needed LOTS of water. It also did not get as big as the store bought heads.

Celery will keep at least a couple of months if you stand it on end and place it in a pitcher of water in the fridge......

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I've raised celery and I have to say,you will never want store bought again. It's amazing how different the homegrown is compared to the store bought. The downfall was that it took so long to mature but it was worth it.

6. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

I agree that homegrown celery is much better than store bought. I was recently asked how big it gets. I had to admit that I didn't know as I haven't let the stalks get taller than 4 inches. It is so good as a snack or in salads. I dry the leaves to use in soup during the winter.

7. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool temps and damp soil and regular moisture is what it likes.

8. WyoDiane

WyoDiane Active Member

Ed---You might also try lovage. It's quite a bit stronger than celery but with a celery-like taste. Use sparingly for flavor. It's a perennial here at 8,000 feet and grows like a weed!

9. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll get me some seeds and see how it does.