Ceiling fans: Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Maggie, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

:rolleyes: OK, I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I'm not sure where. Which way do you put the ceiling fan on in the summer? After I get the answer, I WILL write it down and tape it inside my kitchen cupboard!! Maggie

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

counterclockwise is down
    clockwise is up

3. Maggie

OK, I've got that down pat, but which way do you turn it for the summer :confused: ? Thanks, Maggie

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

counterclockwise blows the air down on you and you feel a breeze. clockwise will circulate the warm air near the ceiling back down around the perimiter of the room.

5. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

The blades should be set so the fan should push air down in the summer to create a breeze that cools you. It should push air up in the winter because the warmer air rises to the ceiling and the upward flow from the fan will circulate the warm air back down to your level.

6. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Unless you live south of the equator, where the water swirls the other way in the basin.

7. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I just went and checked our 4 ceiling fans from the winter use and found that are on counter clockwise. Clockwise blows a cold breeze down IMO.

I am of no help LOL

~Mrs whodunit

8. Maggie

:haha: Hey, this is not funny! The more posts I check on this thread, the more confused I get :confused: . Thankfully here in the U.P. of Michigan, the temps have gone down to 70* now; earlier this evening it was 90*. Maggie

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Sit under your fan while it circulates one way. Rate it. Then try the other way. Then decide.

Everyone is different. You might want the top floor to draw air to the ceiling to increase the draft on the lower floor, or you might want to have it blowing on you cause you hang out there. Everyone rates this differently depending on their house setup and their own preferences. Try one or two combinations and then you'll know. And vary which windows are open because that can also affect draft.

In the early morning, close all east windows and pull their shades/curtains. Leave others that are admitting cooler air open. Adjust this through the day as the sun moves so that by afternoon the west side is closed and the east is open. Use fans to circulate air as desired. Use sun darkening shades if you can on the east/south sides to minimize heat acceleration through those windows.

Edit: to say that having as many windows as possible open in the night admits the maximum amount of cool air.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

unless there is some vent to the outside a ceiling fan will not reliably cause a draft other than air turbulence in a given room. There are many variables in what you will like, if you have standard 8 foot ceilings and standard home construction it probably wont matter which way you push the air, so much as at what speed the blades are spinning. If you have really high ceilings or open particular windows then the direction is going to matter more at lower speeds