Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
quack...
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a bit about this quite a while ago... I eventually bought a fan for my bedroom but it just sat in a box for a while. I eventually got the electrical fixture thing that I needed to mount the fan to. Fan still just sat in a box.

Well we've been avoiding the AC so far this year, but it's 90ish today and will be all week. This is a small doublewide (28 x 40) and it holds heat a little too well. It's hard to cool things off. So when it's 90 outside, it is quite likely hotter inside. We have a ceiling fan in the living room as well as some regular fans here and there... but it's getting too hot.

Anyway... today I decided I might as well install that ceiling fan, but in the kitchen. That would be nice. So I took the light down, then that electrical box that was there. What was above that? a small metal bracket, then lots of insulation. I stuck my arm up there and felt around. I'm not sure how the ceiling is hung, but it doesn't seem to be touching any supports within my reach. I felt something on the top of the ceiling that I'm not sure I could even explain but would guess it had to do with support. Above that, space in between, was a 2 x 2, then another one on the other side.
Ideally I would want to have something really sturdy mounted to something nice and strong up there right? I can't see how that can happen. It's just a tiny hole and there's no way to get anything up there.
unless... I could (in a remote part of the house nearby) cute a hole in the ceiling to access that space up there. I think I'm skinny enough to fit
I'm not sure there's anything to hold me though...
but that's one option.

next option is something like this.
>ceiling fan brace<
or something like that. I could go to lowes and see what they actually have and recommend. Not sure if it matters, but it's a vaulted ceiling.

A fan would be QUITE nice in the kitchen
Other options:
hire someone to put something in
skip the idea and put the AC on

I'd hate to have taken all that time pulling those wires down just to put it all back together with no change.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
434 Posts
That brace from Lowes should work, if you can fit it in. You can make the hole larger, just as long as its smaller than the base of the fan.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The vaulted ceiling could be a problem,if the shaft between the ceiling and fan body isn't long enough. Blades banging on ceiling-- air flow may be strange also. The fan could wobble badly, depending on location.

What about a portable or box fan instead :dance:

·
Registered
417 Posts
If the ceiling angle becomes an issue, you can always buy a longer drop rod for it... they sell all kinds of them in different lengths and finishes.. The rod would go between the ceiling and the fan motor.

I installed fans in both our living room and bedroom with vaulted ceilings... and they do just fine....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Know about the drop rods. Hadn't mentioned that your other fans were on vaulted ceilings too. Use Jack's brace if the ceiling joist will support it

·
quack...
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure you'd want to know how I ended up rigging things. Because those wood supports were a bit high compared to the ceiling, I could not use it the way it was intended exactly. It came with 1 u-bolt and was only so long to fit to the box. Well the space between the rod and where the box needed to be was greater than that.
So my first trip into town I looked for a longer u-bolt of the same size. Found one, ended up still being too short.
Next day, back into town.
I ended up getting a second brace. My original plan was to use the two with one u-bolt but as I mentioned I could not find one long enough.
The two supports... one is of course connected to those supports and the other is just spread out and resting on the ceiling. But the two are now connected to each other with several u-bolts so the weight of the fan is still on both the supports AND the ceiling as it was supposed to me.

Setup required using lock washers when connecting the bracket to the box and neither the box/support rod or the fan came with some... so, had to go to the store again.
This ended up being more work than I planned.
And those wires... So many more wires in the ceiling than on that little diagram for the fan... but I just kept things how they were and got it all figured out just fine.
Anyway... too tired to write much more about the ordeal, but it is up and running now.
It is a light/small fan so those supports will have no problem at all holding it. I have no worries about it.
Being as small as it is it doesn't move as much air as I'd like. If we're near the stove we wont feel it much if at all, but it blows quite nicely on the kitchen table.
Since I had the fan laying around this whole time anyway, it was worth all the effort.
I think it will help in the winter as well to keep some of that warm air from just sitting on the ceiling

Anyway... thank you all for your thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts