Cedar or cypress mulch on veggies?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hears The Water, May 14, 2005.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all, I was planning on using straw to mulch on my veggie plants and then use cedar or cypress on the walkway's between the plants to cut down on the hoeing and maintance. I need opinions please. I am wondering some things.
    1. Will the cypress and/or cedar hurt the veggies in any way?
    2. Will having this down in the walk way's make it difficult to till it all under next year if I decide to do a different configuration in my garden?
    3. Will the volitile oils in the cedar/cypress mulch help keep bugs off of the plants if it is not toxic to the plants?
    4. Are there any other ideas that y'all have that might work better?
    All I know is that I wanted to somehow make the walkway's look different from the beds themselves, and I plat to roll my garden cart through there and I thought that the mulch would eventually compact down a bit and make it a little easier to bring the cart in there. Again, I really value your thoughts and opinions.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I've been using cypress mulch in my veg garden walkways for about 4 years with no problems. My plants do fine. If there are places where you want to move the mulch later you can use landscape fabric under it.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I like cedar, mostly because it smells nice, repels ants, we have awful fire ants, do ya'll have those? Cypress had big pointy sticks in it the time I bought it, and was rough underfoot, but other than that it was ok. It did seem to compact more than the cedar and pine do? I like the pine also.

If you are using the same mulch on the beds as the paths and you decide to incorporate the paths into beds, why can't you just till the mulch in, and add some extra nitrogen to offset the decomposition? That SHOULD work?

I've been using newspaper and hay for mulch, another suggestion, just what you needed, right? But it sure keeps the weeds down and the soil nice and moist. The only drawback I've noticed is that the pillbugs sure like it, but so far they don't seem to be doing much damage, crossing fingers that this continues.

hollym