Cedar logs for raised beds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TEXKAT, Jul 28, 2006.

1. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

I live in southwest Texas...zone 9. I'd like to start preparing a garden for next spring or possibly for the fall. It doesn't start getting cool here until October, with the first frost averaging in December/January.

My soil is rich and black, but is only about 6 inches deep....then you hit limestone and lots of it. We have tons of cedar trees...we're clearing around the large oaks and cutting down most of the cedars. Because of limited funds, I was wondering if I could use cedar logs (1 high of course) for the raised beds. Also, because it wouldn't take too much dirt...gotta haul that in. This is of course a temporary solution, but I don't want to put this off any more. I'm currently doing container gardening for tomatoes and peppers. Will the cedars invite more bugs? Would I need to treat them? If so, with what?

Thanks ~ Signed Clueless in Texas : )

2. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

it shouldn't invite any more than using landscape timbers, besides most bugs are good for the soil.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Cedar and cypress, as well as locust, is rot resistant because of the anti fungal properties of the wood. Cedar should actually repel some types of moths. Use it. It will do the job nicely.

4. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Thanks labrat & woodspirit! I can't wait to get started this weekend.

5. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

If you have alot of rocks laying around you could use those too. I made a raised bed about 8 feet wide and 20 feet long using about 50 or 60 1 foot across rocks.

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Wow! If I had cedar, you bet I'd use it for sure!

Good luck with your garden! I hope you enjoy raised beds as much as I do -- and I DO enjoy them!

Pony!

7. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

My beds are cedar and it works just fine. I put the thin ends together one on top of the other to make up for the thickness of the wide ends. The beds are 4 ft wide (inside width) and varying lengths. I use the 4 ft width based on Mel Bartholemews book "Square Foot Gardening". Its full of great info. B

8. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Thanks Everyone!!