Cedar Apple Rust

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NativeRose, Mar 20, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I just looked out my window and discovered cedar apple rust all over my cedar trees. I thought they had sprouted orange flowers at first until I realized what was covering the trees. I have two ornamental crab apple trees one of which is not doing well. I did a search and read about cedar apple rust and now am concerned as I was planning to plant apple and crabapple trees. Does anyone know what to do about this disease. Should I get rid of the cedar trees in my yard? I am also wondering about getting rid of the crabapple I have as it is an ornamental (makes small berry size fruit). If anyone if familiar with this let me know. All advice appreciated.

2. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

In order to be sure that your apples did not get cedar apple rust you would have to remove all the cedar trees with in a half a mile or more of your apple trees. For most of us that is not going to happen.

You cannot control it for that year once you see it on your apple trees. But, if you spray your trees with a fungicide containt seneb or ferban when the flower buds turn pink, again when 75% of the petals have fallen from the blossoms and treat once more 10 days later.

So, since your apple trees have not been planted yet, plant them as far as you can from the cedars (or remove all of the junipers and cedars that you can) and spray. The spray directions came from the Ortho Home Gardeners Problem Solver book.

3. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Thanks for the advice. I hate to cut down all of the cedars. We transplanted a lot of them along the road between our house and my dad's barn and all of his junk. Our property borders his.

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I've got red cedars all over the property. I've also got 5 apple trees that were planted about 13 years ago and so far they haven't had any signs of rust. The cedars are as close as about 60 feet away, but I haven't noticed any sign of the orange growths on the cedars yet that cause the rust.

On taking out the crabapple, if you do plant the apples, I would keep the crab tree because crabs are excellent pollinators.