Cealing fan/LITE problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Dec 5, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom bought me these 20 yrs ago. The living room one is used everynight at least for the lights. in the last few months one light outa 4 has quit working. If I twist the light around it will blink but not stay on. Tonight another started doing the same thing. Whaddia u think it is?

2. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like the wiring is going bad in the lights. I have a ceiling fan that I have rewired the lights in. It got to doing what you say yours is doing and I found a store that has the wires and sockets together and I just replaced them. Was a lot cheaper than buying a new fan, plus I couldn't find another like this one.

The same fan also blew the on and off chain pull last month. I was going to take it apart, but hubby decided he would do it. He got one out of another older fan we had laying around and replaced it. Works great.

If you don't get it repaired, it will eventually short out and throw your breaker.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The wiring is most likely in bad shape where it connects to the socket. The sockets and wiring should be replaced, usually easily done. In the meantime DON'T USE THE LIGHTS as it may be a fire waiting to start.

4. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Good answers. Leave it off until somebody, with some electrical knowledge, can remove it and rewire the individual lamp holders. If you are having trouble getting parts, the big box stores like Home Depot have complete light kits that are reasonable, and can either be fitted to your fan, or picked apart for repair parts.