Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber Vinson contacted CDC about not feeling well and running low grade fever before she boarded flight back to Dallas. She says CDC gave the OK to go ahead and fly. CDC confirmed that they gave her the OK.

Hospital in Amarillo treating person suspected of having ebola are NOT using ebola protocol at this time. They are waiting for blood test confirmation. This is how the mess got started in Dallas!!! CDC says " think ebola" to all hospitals and what do they do, play wait and see and put medical staff in harms way until it is way too late. What is wrong with these people??? I am furious because it just keeps happening and happening and......

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I wonder if that 100.4 number holds if your natural body temperature isn't 98.6. Some people run lower than that. Some run higher.

Unbelievable, even for the Keystone Cops who seem to be running this show.
My sister runs cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I'm not sure what these women learned in nursing school. If someone told me to care for a patient with possible Ebola without proper precautions and equipment, the only thing I'd do is quit on the spot. I find it hard to believe a RN would take the risk of taking Ebola home, and they should certainly have known that things were not being done safely.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Yeah, my normal temp is at least a degree below the 98.6 standard. If I hit 99.5, I'm feeling miserable, like a 101 temp for a 98.6 person. After working as an RN for many years, I can tell you that many, many people do not run at 98.6!

I like how the CDC is admitting that they told her to fly home, but now they think it was unwise to have told her that. Unwise. Really? How about freakin' stupid!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's the training. Part of that is belief in the system that you have been given for patient care.
No, I don't blame her. I just wish she had been able to think outside of the box she had been trained for. To ask other questions. To use her own best judgement.
Like - If you have to ask - maybe you shouldn't.

I hope she recovers. I hope the devil hasn't flown out of pandora's box

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
It's the training. Part of that is belief in the system that you have been given for patient care.
No, I don't blame her. I just wish she had been able to think outside of the box she had been trained for. To ask other questions. To use her own best judgement.
Like - If you have to ask - maybe you shouldn't.

I hope she recovers. I hope the devil hasn't flown out of pandora's box
Exactly why some of us are in S&P, we have to think for ourselves.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
I totally understand why she did what she did. Yes, she has years of training as a nurse....so we know she is "book smart". That does not always translate to being able to "think out of the box" or having common sense. I knew a brilliant lady when it came to nursing......but she had NO common sense (I'll spare you the stories). Our educational system doesn't teach the skills to think out of the box, they teach the test. The more training one seems to have from "institutions" the less they seem to be able to think out of the box. Not every highly educated person fits that....but many do. But it is almost like they train "thinking outside of the box" right out of some people!

She had enough common sense to call the CDC before she flew....but her independent thought stopped there. She trusted the opinion of those in authority over her.....just as she has been trained to do. So even though I am sitting only a few short miles from where she was, I don't put all the blame her. I put some of the blame on the institutions that "created her" and even more on the CDC (for thinking they are smarter than God and and feel that know everything without thinking!).

As a person that thinks out of the box....in her shoes....I would never have gotten on the plane. I would have called the Cleveland Clinic and said this is my situation, get ready....I'm coming your way. Call me when you are ready for me and have a "set up" in place for me to arrive......a nice tent in the parking lot will be fine! Then I would have called my place of employment, told them what was up and that I would NOT be coming to work for a while - and notify them that their methods for dealing with Ebola failed. Finally I'd call the CDC and tell them what I was doing.....NOT asking them for advice to permission.....and let them know I will see them at the Clinic, shortly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts