Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mississippi now has the nation's highest teen pregnancy rate, displacing Texas and New Mexico for that lamentable title.

Mississippi's rate was more than 60 percent higher than the national average in 2006, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. The teen pregnancy rate in Texas and New Mexico was more than 50 percent higher.

The three states have large proportions of black and Hispanic teenagers — groups that traditionally have higher birth rates.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28538524/

I always find it interesting that the Center for Disease Control monitors teen pregancy. Have often wondered, is it considered an individual or a natrional disease?

Stocks to watch are those who make WIC products, pampers, the fast food industry, carbonation drink makers, television manufacturers, companies that make microwaves and companies that make microwavable foods, the movie rental industry, telecommunication industry, providers to the child care industry, including those who provide child meals, private industry involved with juvenile detention, the public housing construction industry, companies that provide anti-theft services (i.e., plastic encasing) to Wal-mart, Sav-on, grocery stores, etc., companies that provide and maintain welfare credit card systems, companies with reeducation services (i.e., medical file clerk) funding by government loans, and those stocks dealing with construction of and providing goods and services to free health care clinics.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I can't believe that Mississippi, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas and Arizona are all beating Oklahoma.

I blame MP3 players, DVDs and video games. Teens today are just too distracted.

Come on, Oklahoma kids! We can win this thing!

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
I was surprised yet gratified to hear this.....
New Hampshire, with a rate of 19 per 1,000, was the nation's lowest.
My dd got knocked up as a teen here and lots of her friends as well. Things must be bad elsewhere for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
When I found out that my 17-year-old dd was 'active' I got her set up on bc immediately. I disagreed with her decision to be 'active', (boy did I!!!) but that didn't stop me from using common sense. Three years later, she's still childless, thank goodness! Some things need to wait for marriage.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I think thouse groups make up more impoverished people. With no other outlets, kids find something to do.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
isnt there only one abortion clinic available in mississippi? somebody had posted that before, i believe.

if thats true..that is a crime. all women should have safe options available

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
When I found out that my 17-year-old dd was 'active' I got her set up on bc immediately. I disagreed with her decision to be 'active', (boy did I!!!) but that didn't stop me from using common sense. Three years later, she's still childless, thank goodness! Some things need to wait for marriage.

Most people are still of the thought that "putting our daughters on birth control is allowing it".

which is nonsense

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts

I did the same thing. Now my daughter's been married for five years and is a wonderful mom to her one-year-old son.

I live in a wonderful state...we're all fat and the teenage girls are all pregnant! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I did the same thing. Now my daughter's been married for five years and is a wonderful mom to her one-year-old son.

I live in a wonderful state...we're all fat and the teenage girls are all pregnant! :rolleyes:
Don't forget that we are all at the poverty level. Oh wait that's below poverty level. Oh my goodness that makes us fat, poor and pregnant.

Jan

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Stocks to watch are those who make WIC products, pampers, the fast food industry, carbonation drink makers, television manufacturers, companies that make microwaves and companies that make microwavable foods, the movie rental industry, telecommunication industry, providers to the child care industry, including those who provide child meals, private industry involved with juvenile detention, the public housing construction industry, companies that provide anti-theft services (i.e., plastic encasing) to Wal-mart, Sav-on, grocery stores, etc., companies that provide and maintain welfare credit card systems, companies with reeducation services (i.e., medical file clerk) funding by government loans, and those stocks dealing with construction of and providing goods and services to free health care clinics.
I am curious as to what these "stocks" have to do with teenage pregnancy?

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Don't you all know how grateful we here in AL are for MS? As in we're usually #49 on these measures, thank goodness for Mississippi! Guess we can be grateful for NM and TX on this measure.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
From the article cited by the OP:

“It’s more costly for youth in the Northeast to have a teen birth than for youth in the South, in terms of opportunities they’ll miss,” he said.
When a girl doesn't see anything in her future besides raising children in poverty, she'll have little incentive to wait a few years before beginning to do so.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
It seems some of the teens around here think it is "cool" to have a baby in high school, like it's a status symbol or something.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I was a teen birth mother, only I was married....they don't designate that possibility in these results. I had my first child at age 19.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
isnt there only one abortion clinic available in mississippi? somebody had posted that before, i believe.

if thats true..that is a crime. all women should have safe options available
It is a crime having ANY abortion mills in my book but I won't get into it unless we carry it to GC.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I am curious as to what these "stocks" have to do with teenage pregnancy?
I think the poster meant that there would be a market for their products since there are so many pregnant moms. I noticed the underlying assumption that all those girls will be on welfare.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Don't forget that we are all at the poverty level. Oh wait that's below poverty level. Oh my goodness that makes us fat, poor and pregnant.

Jan
Yes, but are you barefoot? :D

I think it's all the hot weather causing the problem - running around in shorts and tank tops can get a girl in trouble. You'll notice that the really cold states have fewer teen pregnancies. It's hard to get in trouble with you dress like an Eskimo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts