cd/t

Discussion in 'Goats' started by paperboy-7, Mar 14, 2005.

1. paperboy-7

paperboy-7 Well-Known Member

is there anytime that you should NOT (cd/t) give this vacc i may have waited to long girls are ready to kidd. when should the kidds receive the shot? thanks p

2. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi paperboy -7,

Vaccinations are still very controversial in the goat world. I would do my research and check with your local livestock vet.

I don't know what type/brand of vaccination you are using, so I would check with your livestock vet on this. I would say that you could probably vaccinate at anytime, but I don't know all the vaccinations out there either. There are vaccinations that you can give anytime, but there are types that it wouldn't be a good idea.

We vaccinate our herds in the late fall with Covexin 8, hopefully not too long before they kid. In this way, the mother can pass the most on to the kids in the colostrum. We don't vaccinate the kids until they are three months old and then we give them a booster in 6 weeks after the first injection.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

3. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

With CD/T (I use the Bar-Vac brand) I give pregnant does their prental shots at 4 weeks until due at 2mL SQ. That shot is given on top of their annual vaccination of it.

I give it to kids at 3, 6, and 9 weeks old at the same dosage. Then the kids go on an annual schedule.

There isnt any specific time when you cant give a CD/T shot.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I give my does, 4cc 4 weeks beofre kidding, the kids get 2cc at birth. and a booster of same amount at 14 days old.
    Ialso give my does a shot in oct. so I make sure that they are covered at all times.