CD/T shot, left a lump now a open sore

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Aug 26, 2005.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

I gave the vaccine which left a lump, well it ended up a scab and today that fell off and its like a open ulcer looking place. it is flat, pinkish but the size of a 50cent piece! I feel just horrible that this happened. I gave 5 other shots that day , this only happened to my registered(of all goats)lol.. buck.. I called the vet, she said since its pinkish, and flat surfaced, not ozzing , just use neosporin ointment.anyone have any other advice or has this ever happened to you?? any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

It was either a dirty needle or dirty injection site. Use a new needle for each animal. Also clean the injection site with alchol before giving shots. Yes I know that cleaning the goat wont be fun , and it all seems like a pain in the butt. If the sore has any depth to it , it needs to heal from the inside out . Do not let it scab over. Keeping ointment on it will help. Get the dollar store cheap antibiotic ointment, much cheaper.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Walnuts are not unusual at inj. sites but open sores are ....put the ointment to it.

4. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

it was a new needle, possible dirty site. my buck is very tame so If I ever give another shot after this experiance I will clean the area with alcohol for sure! I swear I hate it happened so bad, he licks the spot alot as soon as I put the ointment he reaches around and licks it ..

5. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I bought a doe back in January and the prior owner had given the CD/T. A lump had formed & one day it burst & white pus started coming out. One of the frequent users of the forum suggested I clean it out good, and keep it clean. Now you wouldn't even know she had the lump it grew in so well. I didn't have flies out at that time of year so they weren't an issue. I didn't put ointment on it but probably should have.

Ellie

btw-you should give the cd/t shot again as the abscess probably blocked the shot from being effective.

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

It doesn't happen often even when you reuse a needle. Out of 30 something goats last year no problems, the year before only 1 problem. He will be fine in a week.

Patty

7. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

My vet says that when this happens it is because you gave the injection too slowly or jerkily. Some say that it can be the carrier agent and the goats have a reaction to it. Little bit of bag balm will make it better soon.
    You need to follow up those cd/t's anyway in 21 days ;-)