CD/T shot enough?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by *Cakes, Apr 19, 2006.

1. *Cakes

*Cakes Well-Known Member

If I give CD/T shots to some kids, then have them disbudded, will the tetanus in the CD/T be enough or do they need another tetanus shot? Would it be smarter to disbud, then do a CD/T shot for the tetanus?

I will be getting some kids that are only a few days old, and I'm not sure if the mammas were given all the proper pregnancy shots, but I'll try to find out. If they were, the CD/T should not be until they're a few weeks old, but I should have them disbudded at a few days old, correct?? Then they would need the tetanus shot-after or before the disbudding?

How about when they're castrated? The CD/T shot might be used around that time-then do you also need a tetanus? Seems like they're getting a lot of tetenus right away, but maybe that's okay.

Thanks for any input! Sorry I was rambling!

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have heard that the cd/t takes like 14 days to be effective or something, not sure if that is correct. Maybe give a tetanus antitoxin before castrating/disbudding? IDK...
    May I add a question? can you give a tetanus antitoxin and a cd/t shot all the same day, to prevent tetanus up till the cd/t takes effect?

3. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

You will definately need to give tetanus antitoxin as well as the tetanus vaccine that is included in the CD/T. The vaccine takes effect after 14-21 days while the antitoxin goes into effect right away but lasts 2-3 weeks. To be on the safe side, I would give the antitoxin, castrate and dehorn, then give the vaccine 10-14 days later. If their dams were vaccinated, give the first CD/T shot at 6 weeks of age. If not, start as soon as possible.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

WHAT??? I thought all you needed to give was the CDT twice at an interval of 21 days and then yearly and a few weeks prior to doe kidding???

You mean you have to give a separate tetanus vaccine???

Someone please clarify for me please! I don't want to lose any goats to tetanus!

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

The tetanus in the CDT shot is the long-lasting toxoid. If you are going to disbud or castrate and the kid hasn't had the CDT at least 3 weeks prior to the procedure, they should get the tetanus antitoxin, which works immediately, but only last 2 to 3 weeks. However, if the mama goat got the CDT the last month of pregnancy, then the baby will still have immunity from her shot and you can skip the antitoxin and go right to the regular CDT toxoid. HTH.