CD&T shot-any tricks?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ellie5, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

My whole herd is due for their annual CD&T shot, two are having boosters. These two still have lumps behind their shoulder from their initial shot from when I bought them. I know it's from the shot because they are in the exact same place on both of them. Yuk.

Any suggestions on giving the CD&T so I don't give anybody those nasty lumps? How long does it take for these lumps to go down/disappear? Any responses are appreciated & I was planning on giving it to everybody today as the boosters are due now.

Thanks,

Ellie

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Well, some goats lump up and some don't. The lumps on my goats usually go away after a couple of weeks, and I have one goat that doesn't lump at all.

I remember reading that some people who show their goats give the vaccine in the armpit area so the lump isn't so visible. You might try that. I've never tried this myself, so I dont know how awkward it is. Behind the shoulder is easy, so that's where I always give the shot.

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

My buck tends to lump up after his shot. I find that if I rub the area for a few minutes to distribute the vaccine, the lump doesn't form and if it does, it isn't as big.

4. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I gave everybody their shots. I did try to rub the first one but the CD/T seemed to start to squirt back out-so I stopped. What I did with the others is kinda toggle the skin while I was injecting-that seemed to help a little to distribute the vaccine. I gave the two with the booster's on top of their neck thinking that wouldn't be so noticeable. The others got it behind the shoulders.

By the way, this was my first time giving needles to my goats-I was really surprised-they all stood still for it with no problems at all.