CD&T making bumps and sore?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

OK, tonight when I got finished milking I was rubbing on my doe's (KK the black and white I got from Ric) upper left side and found a knot. I believe it could be where I gave her CD&T vaccine a couple weeks ago. What concerned me though was there is a sore there that looks like a ringworm. It is a round circle on top of the knot. The hair is still there, it is underneath the hair. I washed it off with some soapy bleach water really good and then put some "Fungaway" spray on it. (horse spray for rain rot, girth itch and ringworm) Does these CD&T vaccines always make these darn knots. They are on 3 or my does. The other 2 does don't have a sore though.

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Not always, but it is common for goats to develope such lumps and sores at injection sites.

3. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

Injections can cause absesses. But it does sound like you have ringworm. It is contagious to you and your other goats. The best thing I have found to use on them is blue star ointment. Just apply morning and evening and it should dry up in no time. Make sure to treat it quickly so non of your others catches it. It would also be good to wear gloves when medicating it.

4. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

I think staph or ringworm would be the problem here and I believe the treatment for both is similar. For staph and ringworm, spray the affected area with bleach water. For ringworm, you can also spray with 7% iodine.

Both are cosmetic.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

This is why I don't give subq vaccinations. The granuloma that is formed is actually the bodies way of stimulating the immune system, you have given the goat a small amount of the 'disease' they then stimulate their immunity to fight this. The only reason it should abscess would be if the skin wasn't clean when it was given, or the vaccination was used and old. If you read the labels you are really supposed to give the shots, then throw away all the old vaccine, a practice most of us do not heed, but it does give us more lumps and bumps. So the bigger the lump the more immunity to the disease the doe was given the shot for, giving it IM will hide the granuloma, a mashing of the muscle still lets you feel it's there. No harm as long as it doesn't abscess, the lumps subq are just unsightly.

We rarely have lice or ringworm out here, we do have everything else to compensate for this :) It's way too long that you brought in your new stock to have given your old does ringworm, so I would bet you are dealing with an abcessed shot site. Keep it clean, if it does come to a head clean it well. Aloe Heal or anything with comfrey and aloe in it, will heal this, and give you nice hair afterwards. I wouldn't use anything caustic on it. Vicki