CD Player problem in my Malibu

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Mutti, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

CD's go in and out fine, just keeps with the can't read--or will play for a few seconds and quit. DH blew out with air -no difference. Chevy dealer wants $330 for a replacement!!!!!!!!! I can sing to myself for that price. Neighbor has a salvage yard so can see if he can find one but perhaps one of you has solved this problem. Baseball season almost over and that's what got me to work 3 hrs. away every Sat. afternoon :) DEE

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Try a 'laser lens cleaner' CD in the unit. If that doesn't work, more than likely it's toast. The least replacable unit with most factory radios is the factory radio itself. IOW, if something breaks, they just swap it out with a new one. You could probably get a better deal on a new one at Circuit City or Best Buy, especially if you catch them during a free installation sale. A new unit could be had for about $100.00 installed if you shop around. I paid $150.00 for a very nice Pioneer with a remote a few years ago. It is probably a crapshot with anything electronic from a junkyard, but it might be worth the gamble if the price is right.

3. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I second the reccomendation for an aftermarket replacement.