Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of things cause a goat to cough? Mine always cought a little once in a while. However, at the end of April, I brought home a new doe. I noticed that she coughed more than I was used to. Not lots, no mucuos, phlegm, temp., anything. I just thought maybe she was more sensitive to dust, it is rather dusty around here. In the last couple weeks, however, I've noticed one of the others start to cough more. Same thing, dry cough, to temp. Is there something out there that causes a mild cough and is somewhat contagious? Or is this just coincidence?

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
Do they have a temperature?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I'd run 10 days of sulfa drugs in the drinking water, if they were mine. Try Sulmet powder or solution, or aureomycin/Sulmet powder. I err on the side of caution when it comes to respiratory stuff. Spreads too quickly, and it can kill pretty quick. It's one of the few things where I'll rush to the medicines at the merest hint.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I have a 5 Year old alpine doe that I purchased earlier this year. She coughs alot more than the others. Especially if she runs a bit. No other goats in my herd or the herd where I got her do this. It's my guess that she had pneumonia somewhere along the way, and has lung damage. Shes' perfectly fine otherwise. No snot, no mucous, no temp, etc.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I've had my experience with bringing in respiratory stuff. I eventually lost that one, and it took me a couple months to control its spread in the herd. Dry cough, like she said. From there on out, if I bring in a new goat, and it coughs, I medicate.

Kathryne says now there's another one coughing. That's all I'd need to know.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Jim S. said:
I'd run 10 days of sulfa drugs in the drinking water, if they were mine. Try Sulmet powder or solution, or aureomycin/Sulmet powder. I err on the side of caution when it comes to respiratory stuff. Spreads too quickly, and it can kill pretty quick. It's one of the few things where I'll rush to the medicines at the merest hint.
When you medicate in the drinking water how do you know if they get enough? Do you do this for cocci too?Sure would save chasing the little buggers down and drenching 5 days in a row. Has this worked well for you?

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to know a little more about medicating the water, too. And where do you get sulfa drugs, the vet? I was thinking lung worms also, but have no idea how fast they spread or anything else about them. How do you find that out and/or treat them?

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
My vet recommends Valbazen for lungworm. Antibiotics won't touch them.

We can buy sulfa drugs at the feed store in the animal health section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.