Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
......................MayBee bees can't build up an immunity once they've been infected like humans . You'd think all bee keepers in the USA would immediately treat their hives just as a precaution .,fordy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure would if I had bees. The article says Asian bees are more resistant to it than European bees. At least they may have found the reason for it. There have been posts speculating the cause being everything from pesticides, GM crops, cell phones, and the earth's magnetic field.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Thank you for posting that link. As an exterminator and bee keeper, I did not believe any of the suspected reasons publisized for all of the bee colony deaths. I did copy your link, but also noticed it did not specify the so called cheap and easy solution to the problem. There are bee keepers in my area with healthy hives. How this problem spreads is also not explained in the article. Still, it is better than all the other suspected causes. Gary

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
The guess of nosema ceranae is old news. This parasite has been around for several years and most CCD researchers have ruled it out as a cause. I was at the Heartland Apicultural Society conference last week and Dr. Nancy Ostiguy, a leading CCD researcher at Penn State spoke on the current state of research, noting particularly what has been ruled out, i.e., cell phones, GMO crops, nosema ceranae, varroa & tracheal mites, etc. She said a paper will be released soon - currently it's undergoing peer-review - that will provide a significant update on the cause(s) of CCD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.