Cauliflower question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Irish Pixie, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I planted a few cauliflower plants this year, however, when I harvested 3 heads today one of them had a purplish cast to it. I tried to scrub it off, and for the most part, it did come off. What is this? Should I process the cauliflower as usual? Or throw it away?

Thanks for your help.

Stacy in NY

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Stacy, In my experience (which isn't great) i have found that you need to "tie" up the outter leaves of the cauliflower or it will not have a great tight head and it will turn that sort of purple color. It is ok to eat...although i do believe that the taste is better with the "tied" ones. There is a purple cauliflower out there (really deap purple) that you dont have to "tie" up and if develops nice heads with out the extra work. They taste about the same though.

Belinda

3. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Thank you, Belinda. I'll tie up the rest of the heads as soon as it dries out around here...I'm beginning to loathe rain.

Stacy in NY

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I grew "graffiti"....an intensely purple cauliflower...this year. No tying, very pretty. A lazy gardners delight :D