Cauliflower leaves?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tracy Rimmer, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Does anyone know if it's okay to eat cauliflower leaves? I make a veggie stock from all of my vegetable trimmings, and I have two huge cauliflowers to use up... I generally add the end bits of the stems to the pot -- but is it okay to add the leaves?

2. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

Sure you can eat cauliflower leaves. We eat broccoli leaves too! I have a few homesteading cookbooks that give some specific recipes using them. I'll try to dig them up in the next day or so and post them if you'd like.

3. Tracy Rimmer

Thanks -- I've never eaten them before -- just composted them, and now I've got all these leaves and I thought I'd use them in the stock tomorrow, but didn't know if you could.

I'd appreciate the recipes, one more thing to use rather than throw away!

Tracy

4. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

...I will go down with this ship, and I won't put my hands up and surrender, there will be no white flag above my door.... Dido

..."I'm inlove and always will be"

Tracy, now you've got that beautiful song playing in my head!!! :)

Thanx!

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

They're fine. The fine inner ones are better than cabbage. The tough outer ones need to be cut finely across the ribs, then into shorter pieces. Like the tough outer cabbage leaves, they have a strong taste, and they do better in soups than as vegetables in their own right.

6. inc

inc Well-Known Member

very 'cabbagy' odor. you will probably need ot boil them alone and dump the cooking water first, then add to soup. taste leaf and see if its ready(mild)

7. Tracy Rimmer

Thanks, everyone... I rather thought it was possible, but didn't want to ruin a perfectly good veggie stock by adding them and finding out later that I shouldn't have. I'll only add the inner ones... the big outer ones are kind of wilted, anyhow.

Baysidebunny -- That is one of my favorite songs -- and you should hear my nine year old belt it out!

Tracy

8. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

When I make a cauliflower soup, I make stock out of all the leaves, then keep the smallest and tenderest bits, including a bit of the solid stalk, and blend them up with the florets to add body to the soup. The leaves make a delicate stock that is just perfect for cauliflower soup.

9. Tracy Rimmer

Well, I made the stock... used more than just the cauliflower leaves, as I cleaned the last remaining veggies and used some frozen stuff from last year that was past it's prime. I was really surprised at the quality of the stock I got! I'm going to have to make a point of using the cauliflower trimmings in future... it really came out nice. I ended up boiling it down to almost a syrup consistency and then freezing it in ice cube trays -- they make a great addition to stirfries and such this way.

Thanks, everyone -- I appreciate the input!

Tracy

10. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

They also can be added to a stir fry.

11. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to hijack the thread, but it got me thinking. One time I was making stir-fry and decided I didn't want to waste the broccoli stalk. I used a vegetable peeler and took off the very tough outer portion and chopped up the softer inner portion. If memory serves me, it was quite tasty.

12. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

Hihacking continued :eek: I use the broccoli stalk to replace water chesnuts in stir fry. and broccoli leaves to replace kale in soup.