Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Spring I put out two of my cheap - ream of paper cardboard box swarm traps out near where I caught a swarm last year. I set both of them on top of electric boxes that are near a substation.

The one box was only out for a couple of days before I noticed it was missing. I found it in the weeds - apparently somebody saw the box sitting there and not knowing what it was, opened it up and upon finding a drawn out frame of comb, threw it into the weeds.

After this happened, I "camouflaged" the other box by putting an old bath mat around it. I put a brick on top to make sure the wind didn't blow it off.

Since it was near the substation, I put a sign on it "This is a swarm trap, please do not disturb." and had my name and phone number on it in case the electric company didn't want it there.

I checked it about every week and at one time had some bees showing interest, but alas, they set up house elsewhere. I hadn't checked it for a while lately, and was going to get this Sunday to show our bee club how well the box lasted out in the weather. I went to get it on Sunday and there were bees going in and out of it!

Not sure how long they had been in there - I'm guessing at least a week or two.

I stopped by after work this afternoon around 6:00 to take a look at it and while I was there two vehicles had driven by. (This substation is out in the middle of nowhere, but has a road beside it.) The one vehicle even beeped at me - not that I knew who they were.

Right before dark, I headed over to get the box - and it's gone! Apparently, one of the two vehicles that drove past and saw me came back to see what I was looking at, and decided they wanted the swarm and box for themselves.

I scanned the weeds around (just in case they picked it up and threw it), but didn't see it so pretty sure they stole it). I'll stop by during daylight tomorrow just to be sure.

There were about 20 bees clustered in a spot right below where the box was, so I'm guessing they stopped by and picked it up shortly before I got there.

I'm only out a cardboard box (that was free), a frame of drawn out comb, the old bath mat and a brick.

I guess they needed the bees more than what I did.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
How very mean and ridiculous! People are crazy. One nosy person throws one off, another nosy person comes back and steals your bees! You can't win for losing sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts