Cattle Waterer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken in Minn, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Anybody out there use heated livestock waterers? If so what kind? I hate that frozen hose task. Thanks
    Ken in Minn.

2. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

We had four Ritchies. When we installed them we used heat tape on the supply line, wrapped it with foam pipe insulation down to about 8', and put it inside 4" corrugated plastic. We never had a problem with the supply line. On occasion if the wind was in the wrong direction the top might freeze, but the Ritchies we put in had the covers that you could close. We could close them both to thaw it out and then leave just one cover open until the wind changed.

I'll be putting in one this spring and plan on going with Ritchie again.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I also have Ritchies. Wouldn't trade them for the world. The extent of my watering duties are turning up the thermostat in the fall and down in the winter. They never freeze, unless we have a power outage, then they thaw right back once power is restored.

I had some old ones, but bought new ones a couple years ago. They are the Omni..something. Heavy insulated plastic with heaters also. Open troughs, though you can get lids. They weren't cheap, but worth every penny.

I've heard the ball type will freeze.

Jena

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Check out www.nelsonmfg.com. I put one in this summer and love it. Far better than any others I have seen out there so far.

5. Ken in Minn

Thanks All for input. Last summer I installed some yard hydrants in the cattle pens, hoping to put on some electric heated waterers. What came as shock to me was, nobody makes a waterer that fits over a hydrant. Ended up building my own. So far they have worked great, and it has been down to -16 F. I use two standard 100 wt light bulbs. Besides that they were a lot cheaper to build then to buy. I got four for less then I would have to pay for one Richie, that would not fit over a hydrant.
    Ken in Minn.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

For little groups of cattle or horses, A cheap way to keep thawed water is by buying a 20 gallon plastic tub at a farm center. They are often bright red or blue with rope handles. Cost $4 or more. I set one inside a blue plastic barrel. The lip on the tub fits right over the top edge of the barrel. I put a light shield that comes with heat bulbs in them for poultry or whatever in the bottom of blue barrel with a 100 watt bulb in it. This keeps the sides of the tub warm enough to prevent freezing when placed out of the wind. I placed it out of their pen so the animals can't get to the extension cord going to the barrel. They reach through an opening to drink. Filled twice daily, it would make 40 gallons available per day not frozen for the cost of running a 100 watt bulb. Days above 25 degrees, the light can be unplugged..

7. len

len Well-Known Member

great idea! I've been thinking along those lines but not sure how to do it.
    I go to the farm shows and see those beautiful Ritchie (and others) waterers...but then the price tag brigs me back to reality!

8. len

len Well-Known Member

Ken, more details please...this sounds like a great idea.
    What did you use for insulation?
    Float valve?
    Anchor it/protection against cattle rubbing?

9. Ken, more details please...this sounds like a great idea.
    What did you use for insulation?
    Float valve?
    Anchor it/protection against cattle rubbing?

Hi All
    I used 3/4 plywood with 2'' foam inside for insultion. and used a standard tank float valve in side a 15 gal. barrel laying flat in the box. then put a 100 wat bulb in there as well. works like a dream, I plan on building these for sale, only I plan on using stainless steel for the box as well as the tank, then use spray foam. will be more exspensive but will be more saleable, I hope. I have had no trouble with the cattle rubbing on it. I lined the inside with treated 2x4, for anchoring.
    Ken in Minn.

10. Ken in Minn

Hi All
    Go to http://dakodan.net/dexters/ To see...in back down. Just my thoughts. Ken in Minn.

11. Ken in Minn

Sorry All
    I had to edit this page, I had the wrong addy. the place to see this waterer. I promiss to look over my post better next time. Hope it does not cause any problems for any body. Thanks and have a good day.
    Ken in Minn

12. Ken in Minn

Hi All
    I used 2" styrefoam for the insulation,on all four sides and the bottom. It was built low, only 24" high, 24" wide 36" long. I put 2x4 around the bottom on the inside to anchor to the wood platform, that it sets on, which is built up about a foot. I have had no cattle rubbing on it. I have changed out only one of the two 110 wt bulbs that is in side. We have had -29 degrees here, and have had no problems. I like it very well. There is a post on the new Dexter site www.dakodan.net/dexters/ where it tells of another type of waterer that I am going to build this spring. Go to that site and look around, I think you will like it. lot of good post there. The picture area is great. Its a new site, and is going through some changes, so if you don't get in right away, keep trying.
    Hope this answers all your question, if not you know what to do. I use this other board more, so for a faster respond, check it out.
    Hope all had a good day.
    Ken in Minn

13. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

For my metal stock tank I use a floating heater which seems to work fine for me. I also got a heated 16gal big bucket to use in my system for the heated now automatic water system for my rabbits. I got both from Jeffer's the float was around $29 and the bucket was $59.

14. Ken in Minn

I have built 4 of these waterers out of 3 sheets of 3/4 mareen plywood. each with a $6.00 float valve, a used plastic tank, and a $2.00 light bulb holder and bulb, nail and screws and some used 2x4s. So I do not have much invested in these. We have had as low as 29 degree below weather and they have done well. I have changed one light bulb so far. I went with the light bulb heater because I have heard some real bad stories of the submerssible ones shorting out.I dont think you can buy a heated waterer for what I have in mine,and work any better. jmo. Not trying to sell these just trying to inform people there are other ways to water cattle n the cold, other then the 300.00 to 400.00 waters that are out there., on the market
    Ken in Minn