Cattle transport thru several states. Is it viable?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Nik, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

Now that we're in our new place I'm looking at getting some Belted Galloways for the place. First as food and second as a 4H animal for the kids. The problem is most of the breeders I've found with any full blooded animals for sale are several states away. How hard is it to get them hauled to me and what kind of price will I be looking at in getting them to me?
    Thanks,
    Nik

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

When I've inquired with haulers it's usually $1 - $2 per mile so it can get pricey. You might just try going for a drive around some farm area and ask around. That's how I find what i need!

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

What you need to do in that case, is find someone that is good. They drive slower over bumpy roads, will check on the animals as they travel. There are cattle haulers that will go balls to the wall from point A to B. There are also cattle haulers that like to break the cane out, and beat on em. So find someone who has a good reputation, and cares. IMO price should not matter if the hauler is exceptionally good.

Jeff

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Wow, you got a Belted Galloway breeder to talk to you. You are lucky, because the ones around here would not even bother to answer my phone call or email. Good luck !!

I have been looking for transport for 3 weanling dexter steers, and can't find one. Sigh ~ ~Even talked with Ron (The livestock transport guy) No luck.

5. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

bergere, it helps if you're a member of the Belted Galloway society. go to beltie.org and check it out. They have a for sale section on the web site too.
    Good luck,
    Nik

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Ah,, so I need to be a member to have one of them talk to me. Sheesh...
    If someone would sell me a few, I would become a member. But I can't see becoming a member before I get some steers,, and it is not like I am going to breed and raise them. That is just silly to me. Ah Well....