Cattle Rack Plans for Pickup

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Not so long ago, when I lived in Kentucky, it seemed like every small beef, dairy, or pig farmer had a set of wooden cattle racks on their pickup truck, does anyone here know of an on-line site with plans?

Thanks a heap.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Put 'messman woodworking' into google, there under the 'r' selection are plans for a flat bed trailer racks that may be modified to suit your needs.

3. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

A convoluted description from someone who does no wood working but Dh made ours a long time ago. Here goes:

2x4"s shaved at the bottom to fit the holes in sides of the back of the pick-up box

another 2x4 attached to each of the first ones starting at the edge of the pick-up side to as high as you want your box - rests partly or fully on edge of pick-up box (outside - inside should be smooth to keep injury of animals down)

boards attached to inside of 2x4's to make each side

sides were attached to each other with hinges

back sat on tailgate and also attached by hinges.

It was all done in pieces so it could be removed easily It took two of us but he could do it alone if necessary

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Thanks a bunch. I'm going Monday to take possession of my new 2005 1/2 ton pick-up truck and the first thing I want to do is bang in a set of cattle racks. Herself wants to wear some of the new off of it first, but I'm buying it to use.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I don't know where you'd buy a new one, but people around here use to use metal slide in stock racks. I still have one, and it's handy for those times you don't want to pull a trailer, and they are absolutely bullet proof as far as durability.