Cattle Prod?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by adnilee, Apr 3, 2005.

1. adnilee

adnilee Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried using a cattle prod on a Ram? I have heard that one time is all it takes and they won't come near you again if you have it in your hand.
    I was thinking of getting one because although not too aggressive yet, or Dorset ram is the size of a small cow! He must weigh at least 350lbs now.[​IMG]

If anyone is interested in a registered Dorset Ram, he will be for sale in the fall.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

It's not a good idea to use a cattle prodder on any animal other than for specific purposes such as loading cattle into a truck - and in fact, apart from that, I can't think of any other circumstances where I would want to use one and I don't even use one when loading my cattle. I don't own one.

You don't want to instil fear into your animal, you want him to respect you and you would be much better carrying a stout stick to give him a thwack across the nose if he starts to get a bit stroppy.

He's a nice looking animal and it would be a shame to ruin him by mis-handling.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. CCSheep

CCSheep Member

Hi Adnilee:
    No, I have never used a cattle prod, not on sheep, or cattle for that matter. I am in agreement with Ronney. I use a border collie to move my sheep around and carry a fiberglass herding stick. It's real light and I tap them on the nose or rump if they want to be obstinate...it's nothing painful, mostly an attention-getter and truly just a tap. Your ram is big and size can be intimidating, but it sounds like he's a decent fellow and hopefully with proper handling he will remain so. He'll sell much easier if he's a gentleman.
    Jami B.