Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to build shelter out of cattle panels and run 1x4 purlins lentgh ways (attach with cable clips to panels) then screw metal panels on horizontally. I dont see any made this way, not sure why it would not wok, comment?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I built a "Valhalla Project" style cattle panel hoophouse. It was extremely easy and I just covered it with a heavy brown tarp. My goats are very happy in it. Here is a picture from the Valhalla Project website:

If that looks interesting to you, their website has instructions :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
These make a great cold frame also. Grow things like endive and escarole in the winter and then plant your broccoli, cabbage etc. in them in the summer and they will be worm free.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think your idea is sound. Also, since it is not a permanent structure, you can section the cost off in a single year on your taxes.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
for an 8x8 with three and a half sides we spent $150 (used good plywood) with a metal roof, its a lot more durable and goats cant get hung between the post and the wire. It is a bit more of an effort to move it however to make it easier we do take off the sides.
There is something similar to what you are thinking on farmtek website you can order one of their catalogs for free but personally even though I love my panels for every thing I dont care for them being housing
https://www.farmtek.com/farm/suppli...quipment-ft_livestock_buildings;pg104601.html

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
if you get a business license here or get out gate card aka no tax on livestock items you can claim the expenses, or get an LLC for free.
there are ways, Ive just been to lazy to do it and really need too soon

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Waste of good cattle panels. Too expensive to use them that way.

Build a wooden frame, with purlins, add sheet metal. No need for the cattle panels. :)
I understand your thoughts, but you would be hard pressed to be able to buy the lumber needed to build same size structure for $60. Figure an 8 foot 2x4 is just a little over $3 each. 17 or so 2x4s don't go very far when constructing a 12 foot shed.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,254 Posts
I've got a good supply of used/recycled lumber, so buying materials isn't really an issue for me. :)

I have a small herd and don't sell milk, so there's no reason for me to jump through the government hoops.

I also don't want to put myself on the government radar for inspections, audits, etc.

Everyone has to decide what their goat niche is. Mine isn't big. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts